Teeth for my little one

Updated on Sep 05, 2014

Hi,   My daughter just turned one. She has got 8 teeth. 4 on upper side and 4 on lower. She has a habit of holding her lower lip below her upper teeth (uppwer jaw). It keeps me worried that her upper teeth might come outside mouth. I know that it will also depend on her Jaw and gums arrangement and it varies from person to person. Can anyone share their thoughts?

• 6

Hi Ketaki, you are right in your assumption that her current habit will not affect her gum or jaw structure as her teeth currently are not the permanent ones. So, don't worry. Only permanent teeth can determine the final outcome of a child's appearance.

• Reply

Hi Ketaki, As she is small, this seems to just be a temporary problem... when she does that correct her, and she will get over it. About it deforming her mouth/teeth's structure, don't worry. These are her milk teeth and will hardly affect her in the long term.

• Reply

Hi Ketaki,as she is just one you need not worry about this habit but as she grows up if it persists we do have habit breaking appliances .As of now do not fret over it ,it will not affect her jaw or teeth shape.

• Reply

Dr. Sonali: Thank you so much for clarifying this.

• Reply

Ankita: Thanks to you too. You know it keeps popping at back of mind whenever I Look at her.

• Reply

This sounds like a temporary habit which she will outgrow soon. Also, pressing the lip under the teeth does not make lead to anything serious.

• Reply

Varsha Karnad
Proparent
Featured content of the day

Parentoon of the day

Lighter side of parenting

Ask your queries to Doctors & Experts

Download APP