Teeth for my little one

Updated on Sep 05, 2014

Hi,   My daughter just turned one. She has got 8 teeth. 4 on upper side and 4 on lower. She has a habit of holding her lower lip below her upper teeth (uppwer jaw). It keeps me worried that her upper teeth might come outside mouth. I know that it will also depend on her Jaw and gums arrangement and it varies from person to person. Can anyone share their thoughts?

• 6

This sounds like a temporary habit which she will outgrow soon. Also, pressing the lip under the teeth does not make lead to anything serious.

Ankita: Thanks to you too. You know it keeps popping at back of mind whenever I Look at her.

Dr. Sonali: Thank you so much for clarifying this.

Hi Ketaki,as she is just one you need not worry about this habit but as she grows up if it persists we do have habit breaking appliances .As of now do not fret over it ,it will not affect her jaw or teeth shape.

Hi Ketaki, As she is small, this seems to just be a temporary problem... when she does that correct her, and she will get over it. About it deforming her mouth/teeth's structure, don't worry. These are her milk teeth and will hardly affect her in the long term.

Hi Ketaki, you are right in your assumption that her current habit will not affect her gum or jaw structure as her teeth currently are not the permanent ones. So, don't worry. Only permanent teeth can determine the final outcome of a child's appearance.

Always looking for healthy meal ideas for your child?

Get meal plans