Acne In Pregnancy - How To Treat It?
Created by Tasneem Sariya Updated on May 18, 2020
Acne and pimples are not nightmares of teenagers alone! Acne during pregnancy is very common too and usually lasts till the end of the second trimester.
What Is Acne?
Acne is disease of the skin that happens when there is accumulation of dead skin cells and oil, called sebum in the pores and hair follicles of the skin. It primarily affects the face, back and upper chest area.
Cause Of Acne In Pregnancy
Pimples during pregnancy occur due to hormonal changes in the body. The increase in the androgens hormone can cause the glands in the skin to produce more skin oil or sebum which gets clogged on the skin pores leading to inflammation and redness. When Does Pregnancy Acne Start And How Long Does Pregnancy Acne Last? It usually begins in the first trimester and lasts till the second. If you have not got acne in the earlier weeks of your pregnancy, chances are it won’t show up at all. Pregnancy acne cause could be higher for women who experience the same during their menstrual cycle.
How To Treat Pregnancy Acne?
Symptoms of acne in pregnancy are pretty much same, such as, blackheads, pimples, large or small red bumps and inflammation on the skin. There are no such definite pregnancy acne remedies; however, below are simple ways to treat pimples during pregnancy:
- Probably the best acne treatment for pregnancy is to regularly wash your acne infested face gently and try not to use any cloth or other object as it may irritate the skin
- Another safe acne treatment while pregnant is to drink a lot of water, eat nutritious food and give yourself enough sleep and rest. All of this will not only benefit your skin but are ideal conditions for your pregnancy and the developing baby
- Do not rub hard or squeeze the acne, it will only make it worse
- Wash your hair regularly and if you apply make-up, try and use oil free products which are non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic. Always make sure to wash off the make-up before going to bed
- Consult your doctor if the acne is bothering you too much for safe medicines that do not harm your pregnancy
For pregnancy safe acne spot treatment never ever use over the counter anti acne medication without consulting your doctor. Many medications can be harmful for your baby and pregnancy; hence it is absolutely necessary to take acne treatment medicines that are prescribed by your doctor only.
Also, if you are too conscious about your acne, you can try some natural home remedies, such as, the application of honey, coconut oil, cucumber and oatmeal, citrus fruits like lime or lemon or mixing a little baking soda with water and applying it on your pimples.
Acne is a common problem that many women face during pregnancy. However, the good news is, that almost always the pregnancy acne is just temporary and will go away once you hit the third trimester.
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Do share your thoughts with us in the comments section below; we’d love to hear from you.