Apple Cider During Breastfeeding - How Safe Is It?
Created by Huda Shaikh Updated on Jun 01, 2018
Breastfeeding is the most important phase in the life of a mother and the child. The reason is; whatever a mother eats is indirectly passed on to the child through breast milk and hence a mother needs to be careful about her diet throughout the phase of breastfeeding. This phase might leave you craving for something tangy. This can be the best time to add apple cider vinegar to the diet, but you might have apprehensions as to whether it is safe for your little one or no. Here is taking a quick look at the merits and demerits of apple cider vinegar, most importantly whether you can consume it during breastfeeding or no. But before that let’s know what apple cider vinegar is-
Apple cider vinegar is prepared by crushing apples which are later left to ferment. The fermentation process turns the crushed apple concoction to alcohol and then acetic acid. The concoction undergoes aeration process after which it is bottled and sold in stores. Apple cider vinegar is of 2 types, Synthetic apple cider vinegar and Raw organic apple cider vinegar. The synthetic apple cider vinegar is pasteurized and devoid of the mother whereas the raw and organic apple cider vinegar contains the mother and is unpasteurized.
So which one should you stick to if you are breastfeeding your little one?
Go for synthetic apple cider vinegar since it is pasteurized in order to remove bacteria like E.coli, Salmonella and cryptosporidium.
But why do you need to consume apple cider vinegar? Let us give you some reasons why you must add it to the diet. Apple cider vinegar is known to be beneficial in various ailments and infections right from diabetes till obesity. Here is taking a look at the other benefits apple cider has got to offer.
Aids in weight loss- If you are looking to lose post-partum weight, apple cider vinegar come handy. Add about a tsp of it to a glass of lukewarm water and consume it before lunch or dinner. Keeps blood sugar levels to optimum-During and post-pregnancy most women tend to suffer from elevated sugar level, hence make sure to add cider to the diet as it can control sugar levels and help in managing your weight. Aids in good digestion- Usually post pregnancy there are digestive issues like heartburn and acidity which can be easily dealt with the help of apple cider vinegar. Simply add it to your salads or herbal tea and you are good to go.
Precautions You Must Take While Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar-
- Always opt for pasteurized apple cider vinegar which is devoid of any bacteria and is refined
- Dilute apple cider vinegar before consuming it, otherwise it can harm your throat and mouth
- Consult your doctor before you consume apple cider vinegar
- Check the labels and certifications before you go ahead and buy a pack of apple cider vinegar
- Consume apple cider in moderation; do not consume more than a tsp in a day
Ways To Add Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Diet-
- Add apple cider vinegar to your salad as a salad dressing. You can use black pepper, herbs, rock salt, crushed garlic and olive oil along
- Prepare a detox drink- In a 1ltr water bottle add ½ inch crushed ginger,1 tsp lemon juice, few mint leaves (just for taste), 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp organic honey. Mix well and you can consume it as per your convenience. But make sure you consume it on the same day
- Spice up your herbal tea-Brew your favorite herbal tea, wait for few seconds and then add ½ tsp apple cider vinegar,1/2 tsp crushed ginger and 1 tsp raw honey. Enjoy!
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Please share your thoughts, ideas and feedbacks with us in the comments below; we’d love to hear from you!
| Jun 01, 2018
is it safe to consume post a C-section delivery also?
| May 29, 2018
Hi Tulasi, Please follow the tips given above and it's absolutely safe to consume provided you keep important points in mind :) you only have to listen to the right one :) do not listen to many or all!
| May 29, 2018
many told not to consume apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding
| Mar 01, 2018
thank u so much for sharing benefits of apple cider vinegar.
Some custom error
Some custom error