Baby Weaning Food Guide: 7 to 12 months
Created by Puja Sharma Vasisht Updated on Sep 19, 2021
Slowly your child is learning to chew and has started sitting. Tooth eruption may have also started. You can start experimenting a bit m ore with his food. Add a spoon of butter/ghee/oil to your little one’s dish. Rice is one of the least allergy giving cereal. In pulses, moong dal or green gram dal is best tolerated among infants. There are certain foods which can cause allergy in your little one. Be carful before offering these to your child. These are soybean, egg white, cow’s milk.
Now you can start with vegetables and pulses. You may add well cooked vegetables to mashed potato or to thin khichri. Other options are dalia, dal, curds etc.
How much- starting from 2-3 spoons it can be gradually increased to one katori. Along with 2-3 feeds of milk , 2-3 katories of weaning food can be given in a day.
Consistency: Keep to semi solid only. Thickness can be increased depending on infant’s tolerance.
Whole eggs including the egg white, meat, all vegetables (excluding peas, corns which can cause choking) and fruits can be given. Now you may give, scrambled egg, soft boiled egg, or custard. Well cooked shredded meat can be added, after consultation with your paediatrician. Chopped fruits and vegetables can be given raw or cooked.
How much – one egg can be given. Fruits and vegetables can be started with small amounts. Increase the amount gradually.
Consistency -The infant is able to bite and chew now. Consistency can now be semi solid and solid for soft fruits and vegetables.
By the age of one, infant should be introduced to family food and given the concept of eating with everyone. Ideally, baby should take 1-2 meals with family.
Here are some
Do’s of weaning
1) Introduce only one food at a time. Let the child develops a taste for it in few days.
2) Give small quantities of food and then gradually increase the amount. Consistency would start from liquid, semi solid and then come to solid
3) Introduce variety in child’s diet, as she may get bored of sameness. The more variety child is exposed to, the lesser fuss they would have towards food in future. More variety also means a mix of nutrition.
4) Slowly children appreciate different colours, shapes and texture. This can be introduced to child’s diet to make it attractive.
Don’ts of Weaning
1) Do not Force feed the child. If the child dislikes a particular food, remove it and re-introduce later.
2) If the child still dislikes that particular food, don’t feed it. No food is indispensable and some substitute can always be given.
3) Do not give very spicy food to the infant and avoid fried foods too.
4) Do not show your personal dislike to a particular food as the children tend to follow their parents’ likes and dislikes.
Disclaimer: Exclusive Breastfeeding is best for babies for the first 6 months. Breast milk provides the ideal balanced nutrition and protection. However there maybe individual instances where introducing first foods maybe required depending on the child's needs and issues related to mother's milk supply. Please consult a pediatrician to make a more informed choice.
| Oct 26, 2015
My baby has stopped taking enfamil from past one week which she used to take about 250 ml a day followed by one solid food(rice poridge with veggie) and on breast milk once i come from office. Should i be worried about this? Also she started disliking First byte rice n daal which she used to eat earlier. She used ot like mashed bananna, apple and pappaya earlier. Now she doesnt eat any of these. She is 7 months old and about 6. 5 kg(her birth weight was 2. 4 kg). should i worry about this?
| Apr 13, 2016
My son is 9m old nd he take out his food wen i fed him in sitting position nd cries alot while eating. Very rarely he eats widout crying bt only in rest position. Im worried.. Im trying to make him sit nd eat bt he has no interest in eating. He wants only milk. Plz help. Bt he is very active child.
| Oct 28, 2016
my daughter. .who has completed her 9th month recently, she was eat banana .Apple pure. nd veg khichdi nd soup easly... but nowadays. she shows her non intrest in these. food.. she only want feed evtytym... so pls guide me how I tackle her nd tell me pls some recipes except dalya. kjichdi. upma.