Barley for babies: How to give? 3 Yummy recipes
Created by Priya Mankotia Updated on Nov 25, 2020
A super nutritious grain which is quite healthy to eat and easy to digest is Barley. It is popularly known as Jau in Hindi, Barliarisi / Valkothumai in Tamil, Satu in Marathi and Jave Godhi in Kannada. Being a major cereal grain, it has recently gained much popularity owing to the immense health benefits it offers. If your baby has just started taking solids, barley is a perfect food! It can also be offered as an alternative to rice and wheat.
What Are The Nutritional Benefits Of Barley For Babies?
Barley falls into the category of superfoods and is essentially less likely to cause allergies. It contains lots of fiber, amino acids, iron, copper, B vitamins, manganese, iron and phosphorous. It is also abundant in proteins. Some of the ways consumption of barley benefits the baby are:
- Smooth bowel movements, thanks to soluble and insoluble fiber content in barley
- Improved liver health by reducing production of bile acids
- Strengthening of the bones and teeth, thanks to phosphorus and calcium present in the grain
- Being rich in copper, it helps in proper absorption of iron in the baby's blood
- Barley is known to have anti-fungal properties and prevent fungal attacks on the body
When Can I Give Barley To My Baby?
It is recommended to start solids once your baby is 6 months old. Uptil then, breast or formula milk provides all the necessary nutrition for your baby. Because Barley contains gluten, so it should not be offered to a baby as a first food. Also, if your baby is allergic to wheat, it is best not to feed barley to your baby as the grains are related. Once your baby is tolerating wheat well, barley can be introduced following the 3-day wait rule.
How Can I Give Barley to My Baby?
While barley is largely given to babies as a cereal, you can also add it to stews and soups to thicken them to a desired consistency. Cook it smooth, or leave it a bit chunkier, feed your baby the goodness of barley adjusting to your baby's age and her comfort with the cereal.
3 Interesting And Easy Barley Recipes For Babies
Sharing with you all a few yummy recipes that includes Barley for you little one.
Barley Apple Porridge for Babies
- Pearl barley 1 cup
- Apple 1/2 chopped
- First cook barley by adding one cup barley and 3 cups water in a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistles and then simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes
- Let the steam go all by itself and check if the barley is properly cooked
- Add the chopped apples, 1/2 cup of water and now cook for about 2 minutes
- Puree the mixture in a blender until it turns smooth
- Take the porridge into a bowl and feed your little one
Barley and Potato Balls For Babies
- Soft cooked pearl barley 1 cup
- Applesauce 1/2 cup
- Sweet potato 1/2 finely chopped
- pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger
- You need to mix alul the ingredients in a bowl
- Make small balls or create plops to make finger foods
Barley Khichdi Recipe For Babies
- 1/2 cup barley (jau), washed and drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped red capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies(optional)
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the barley and 1½ cups water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside
- Heat the olive oil in broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally
- Add the all remaining vegetables and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally
- Add the cooked barley, green chillies, little salt and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally
- Serve Warm
- Cook Barley Faster and Easier
- You should soak barley first. Soaking for a long time increases the digestibility
- Take some amount of barley in a bowl and add water so as to cover the seeds properly. Leave it overnight, strain the following morning and wash
- You can also store them in the refrigerator for about 2 days and cook whenever you like
Points to remember when giving barley to your baby
- Never buy whole Barley grains as it's difficult to digest
- You should use pearled barley and store them for several months in a cool and dry place. Store them in airtight containers and preferably place them in a refrigerator
- Look for the 'best if used by …date' on the pack
- Pearled barley cooks up fast, which is one of the biggest advantages associated with it
Moms, do share with us your experience of introducing Barley to your babies!!
| Nov 28, 2020
My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail. com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542 He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.