Preventive Measures For A Child With Brittle Bones
Created by Dr Reetika Inderjeet Juneja Updated on Dec 08, 2019
Being a mother of a toddler, I always worried about my son's health who is going to be 3yrs soon. The lack of fresh and pure food, we are falling prey to conditions that were quite rare earlier and one such condition is Osteogenesis Imperfecta or brittle bones. Curious? Let’s see what are brittle bones, what are the causes and how can you prevent them.
What Is Brittle Bones?
Brittle bones, also known as Osteogenesis Imperfecta means "imperfectly formed bones".Brittle bones signify a condition whereinbones tend to break easily or gets broken even with tight hold and are prone to fracture.This condition is usually present at birth and is a hereditary condition.
Since this disease target baby either in the mother's womb or new born.So it is quiteessential for a pregnant mother should eat well-balanced food containing all the necessary nutrients for both the mommy and the baby. contain good amount of all essential nutrients that a baby need.
Are There Any Classification Of Brittle Bones?
Brittle bones can be classified from mild to severe-
In mild case it may lead to fewer fractures.If severe, may result in many other diseases such as
- hearing loss
- heart failure
- Spinal cord problem, etc.
The severity of this disease can be life threatening if occur in babies just after birth.Usually 100 in 2,00,000 babies suffer from this disease.
What Causes Brittle Bones?
According to a research, brittle bones are caused due to deficiency of genes producing type 1 collagen, a protein used to form bones.
Are There Any Special Care Tips For Infants With Brittle Bones?
Yes, you need to take some extra care for infants with brittle bones. Here are a few tips to be kept in mind.
- Placing baby in a car seat or stroller should be done carefully. A soft car seat or stroller seat should be given preference
- Hot and warm temperature will make baby more uncomfortable.Dress baby in lightweight clothes that can absorb sweat easily
- If baby is in cast give sponge bath and if baby is in sling give a normal bath just be careful sling should not get wet
- Check and make sure baby is not caught or tangled in blankets or any cloth.Avoid lifting baby through under arms or ribs. Always lift baby with both hands by placing one hand under the neck and one under back and buttocks. Close contact with the baby is more important to make good bonding
- While changing nappies don't lift baby with ankles.Place one hand under the buttocks and slide diaper in and out.
- While feeding avoid putting baby's arm around your back. Make sure baby feeds from both sides as keeping head on side for long may again result in altered head shape
How To Know If Baby's Has Fracture?
Baby may cry suddenly without any reason.You may hear bone cracking voices.In such cases just try to relax your baby first.When baby is relaxed touch the bone or limb if baby cries again visit to doctor as soon as possible.
What Are The Preventive Measures For A Child With Brittle Bones?
Here are some common preventive measures that you can take for your child when he or she is in your womb.
- Calcium rich diet: About maximum part of calcium is consumed in building bones and teeth.We lose calcium daily through nails, urination, sweating, faces but the body cannot produce new calcium.So the taking of calcium rich diet is very necessary. Include foods such as milk, yogurt, cheese, cabbage, broccoli, cottage cheese
- Vitamin D rich, diet: Make sure you receive an accurate amount of vitamin D which help the body absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus. Sources of getting enough vitamin D are fish, beef liver, cheese, egg yolk, mushroom, milk, orange juice, sunlight
- Cut out caffeine: Caffeine increase urinary loss of calcium
- Weight management: Maintain your accurate weight as being under weight or over weight can again lead to fractures or any other bone disease
- Reduce salt intake and increase potassium: sources are bananas, baked potato, orange juice, broccoli, yogurt, sweet potato, lentils.
- Exercise: Start with mild exercise or yoga, but before that do consult with your doctor. Allow your bodyto recover
Following these preventive measures and precautions during pregnancy and proper handling of your baby after birth can lead to reduce risk of getting brittle bones.
Did you like the blog on preventive measures for brittle bones in your child? Do you know any child who has brittle bones? Please do share your views and feedback with us in the comments section below.