Is Spinach (Palak) Cause Allergy in Kids? Spinach Allergy Vs Intolerance Symptoms
Created by Foram Modi Updated on Oct 30, 2018
Recently, I heard about a case, where a 7-year-old boy was admitted to the hospital for severe wheezing and shortness of breath. No one in the family could figure out what happened till the doctor asked what happened. And this what the family said, “He was fine before he had his lunch and after two-three bites of lunch he started wheezing and had difficulty in breathing.” Helpful Read: Health Benefits of Spinach (Palak) for Children
“So what was for lunch,” the doctor asked again.
“Palak,” the family replied in unison. Palak, spinach in Hindi, the doctor understood that the child is not only spinach intolerant but is severely allergic to it. So what is spinach allergy and what does it mean for the allergic person.
What Is Spinach Allergy?
It is not common to have spinach allergies but it is not that as uncommon as well to have spinach allergies. There are certain proteins and nutrients that are present in spinach, which are not recognised by the person who is allergic to spinach and hence the reactions like inflammation of tissues and shortness of breath.
What Is Spinach Intolerance?
Spinach intolerance, symptoms are not life-threatening but it can sometimes be “lifestyle-threatening” since they can make it difficult, uncomfortable or painful life. Spinach intolerance is of two types – digestive intolerance and immune intolerance.
In Immune Intolerance:
- A person body will experience an immune reaction to eating spinach.
- Immune food intolerance symptoms are unique and vary from person to person thus it is difficult to list symptoms.
- With an immune intolerance, a person will feel unwell.
In Digestive Intolerance:
- A person will be unable to digest, absorb or process spinach.
- With digestive spinach intolerance, one of the most common symptoms is stomach bloating and stomach pain.
Spinach Allergy vs. Spinach Intolerance
If your child is spinach intolerant then he or she can have spinach in other forms like boiled spinach kneaded in the dough, but if your child has spinach allergy then it is better to remove spinach from the diet completely.
Symptoms of Spinach Allergy:
- Abdominal cramps
- Skin rashes
- Nasal congestion
- Inflammation of bodily tissues
- Flushing of the face
- Shortness of breath and wheezing
- The sudden reduction of blood pressure and unconsciousness
Symptoms of Spinach Intolerance:
Sign & symptoms of spinach intolerance include following...
- Skin irritation
How to Treat Spinach Allergy?
- Make dietary changes by removing spinach from the diet.
- This does not have to be a permanent change if your child has the intolerance but if you feel that he or she is allergic then it is better to remove spinach from the diet completely.
- Some people who have spinach intolerance are able to eat small amounts of spinach or spinach that has been prepared in a particular way (cooked spinach or boiled spinach, for example) while other people will experience discomfort.
Parentune Tip: Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available, so it is important find alternate sources of the nutrients that are found in spinach.
Alternative Food Items to Spinach: Some of the other alternatives to spinach include:
- Romine lettuce
- Turnip green
However, these alternatives should only be tried after a consultation with your doctor.
Did you like the blog on spinach allergies? Would you like to read more about some uncommon allergies caused by food that are rich source of micronutrients? Please do share your views and feedback in the comments section below as we would love to hear from you.
| Jul 13, 2017
it really very important to know about the allergic foods and it is difficult to figure out the symptoms. The blog is very helpful thank you for the nice explanation.
| Jul 11, 2017
Thank you for reply
| Jul 11, 2017
Stop for few days than try once again
| Jul 11, 2017
i have given boiled spinach with moong dal for my 11 month kid... first 2 times nothing happened but 3rd time he vomitted and felt discomfort for whole day, shall i stop giving or continue? Pls suggest