What to Educate Child About Martyr's Day(Shaheed Diwas) Celebration?
Created by Urvashi Shah Updated on Mar 23, 2020
In India, there are several days, which are celebrated as Martyrs' Day and are named in the honour of those who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of the nation. In India, every year Martyrs' Day (Shaheed Diwas or Sarvodaya Day) is celebrated on 30th January, 23rd March, 27 May, 21 Oct, 17 & 19 Nov. This Martyrs Day, let's teach your child why we celebrate Shaheed Diwas, its importance & benefits of living in an independent nation.
History of Martyrs' Day(Shaheed Diwas)
Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on 30th January 1948, and hence the day is celebrated as Martyrs' Day every year. While 23rd March is observed as Martyrs' Day to remember the sacrifice and pay homage to Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar who fought for India against the British rule for independence. It was only due to these brave hearts that India got independence from the British rule which continued for several years. Let's know what, why & how of Shaheed Diwas.
How Martyrs' Day(Shaheed Diwas) Is Celebrated?
OnShaheed Diwas, the President of India, the Vice President, the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister, and the service Chiefs get together at the Rajghat where the Samadhi of Mahatma Gandhi is and pay their tributes. An honourable salute is then given by the armed forces personnel and inter-services contingent to pay respect to the martyrs. The people gathered then observe 2 minutes of silence in the memory of the martyrs.
What Are The Benefits Of Living In An Independent Nation?
India has come a long way since she first got her independence from the British rule and contemporary India today boasts about the kind of versatile technology and the dynamic laws and rules, which mainly cater its citizens by large.
Here are a few things to teach your child about the importance of living in an independent nation. So, how do you ensure that your child knows about all this development and achievement as a nation? Read here...
- Teach About Secularism: India being a secular state has always treated all religions equal. Citizens of this country are free to follow any religion of their choice and aren't bound by a specific one. It is due to this that today we get to choose our religion without being judged in any way
- Teach About Democracy: India is the largest democratic nation in the world where citizens can have their own opinion regarding the nation's benefit. Being the citizens, we get to raise our voice in an acceptable manner and have our grievances heard by the government who then begins to work towards our benefit. The right to vote allows all the citizens above 18 years of age to choose his/her government to cater to them and the country. Being a democratic country, the citizens have the right to live on their own will and do whatever they wish as long as it is done in peace and harmony
- Teach About Technological Advancements: After India got its freedom, a lot has changed in the technology sector where today we can communicate with anyone at any time and everywhere in the world with just a click of a button. Rescuing people in the time of need has also become possible with a single click. People are now closer to each other due to technology and have also become more aware of the various ongoings in the world with the help of the same
- Teach About Educational Advancements: It is because of several freedom fighters that not only India got its independence, even girls of the country got their right to basic education. Education is the key to win over the world and thanks to our freedom fighters that we have all sorts of educational facilities today. Every child in the country can now have access to basic education to brighten his/her future
- Teach About Healthcare Facilities: Since India got its independence, the country has developed in multiple ways in reaching advanced medical care. Polio has almost been eradicated in the country today due to the awareness brought by the government in every nook and corner of the country. Malnutrition in children has also come down to a great extent due to the healthy and fresh eatables being available with ease. Due to various advanced medical facilities, even the maternal mortality rate has come down greatly. It is after independence that India has developed itself in the health sector which has been benefiting its citizens vastly
- Teach About Scientific Achievements: India has been honing its pride in its space programmes, which began with the launch of its first satellite Aryabhatta in 1975. Since then India has been aggressively pursuing both nuclear and missile programmes and has simultaneously augmented the country's defence strength to a great extent. India has now come closer to being an independent force to reckon with in the field of nuclear and missile technology
These are a few things that you can teach your child about living in the independent country that we are proudly living in today.
Did you find the blog on the "Importance & Benefits of Martyr's Day(Shaheed Diwas) Celebration to Your Child" useful? Share your views and feedback with us in the comments section below.