Teach Your Child The Importance Of Family Values In Urban Landscapes
Created by Urvashi Shah Updated on Sep 29, 2018
A family is where we experience our biggest triumphs and our deepest vulnerabilities. With the changing times, the concept of ‘Family’ has also become dynamic and there are a number of types of families in existence, leading to different forms of parenting. But whatever the term ‘Family’ means to you, it is of utmost importance in a child’s life which is why you must take an initiate to teach kids importance of family.
The family where your child grows up puts an impact on his personal life as well, such as when making decisions and also influences his relations with others outside the family. It is thus very important for your child to spend time with family as the values shared will directly have an impact on his life as an individual. Teach importance of family to toddlers so that they begin valuing the inter-personal relationships right from the very beginning.
As a child gets older and moves towards being a teenager, he spends lesser time with family due to other commitments he has towards his school life and friends. To top it more, the use of social media has triggered a sense of insecurity amongst children these days which is why teaching family values to children will help them be assured of having security in their own people.
This is why you must encourage your child to spend time with family which will help him absorb the right kind of values that will be of a great help to him in future.
Tips: How To Teach Family Value To Your Child
Here are some tips to teach family value to kids so let’s see what you can give your child as a family.
- Stronger bond:Your child will feel a sense of security and relief within the family which also happens to strengthen the bond with each other. Spending family time frequently will only deepen the bond with time
- Important lessons of life:You can teach your child all the important life lessons through family where you all can sit together and talk and share your problems with each other. Discussions and debates will happen which will enable your child to reach out to his family first when in need. He will soon learn how a family always comes first in each and everything
- Affection and encouragement:Spending time with family will help your child receive affection and encouragement which will always help him be a step ahead in life. It will thus teach him to depend up on family and the value of relying on each other during happy and difficult times. These days children turn to their peers or social media for support but forget how a family comes first which is why it is essential for a child to get involved in family
- Family values:Family values can be instilled in your child the more he spends time with the whole group. Every family has people from all age groups which is why your child will get to know the experiences from each one of them and also learn different values from them with time. Since a child usually observes and imitates the behaviour of his elders, your family will have a great impact on your little one
- Rituals and traditions:In this age of social media, children are slowly forgetting the importance of rituals and traditions. Hence, spending time with your family is important for your child where you as parents and elders can instil the values of traditions and rituals in him. All the customs that your family follows can be taught to your child so that he can pass them on to future generations and also realise the worth of the same
- Accepting differences:No two people are the same and your child will learn this by spending quality time with the family. Every family comprises different sets of people with versatile natures which is how your child will learn the value of tolerance and respecting every one for who they are
- Interaction:We live in a society where we connect with one and another on a daily basis which forms the major part of our lives. By spending quality time with family, your child will learn the art of interaction with friends and relatives who he can turn up to when in a crisis. This will also teach him the value of trust in one another
- Sharing:Family time is important to teach your child the value of using power wisely by giving him a chore and supervising him through the same. You can guide your child accordingly which will soon help him excel. This will build a bond of trust and intimacy with each other
How To Teach Kids Empathy?
The feeling of empathy can come only from family which will make your child humble towards people in general which is also another reason why family bonding is necessary for a child in today’s time. These are the ways how the feeling of empathy can be taught to your little one.
- Talk about the feeling:You must begin teaching your child the value of relationships right from an early start. For example, you can encourage your child to speak to the little boy/girl in his class who is sitting alone. Once your child gives that child company, you can make your child understand how is has done a good deed. This will slowly encourage your child towards being more emphatic in nature
- Praise his behaviour:You can praise your child every time he shows empathy towards others. Be generous towards your child and even try rewarding him every time he is emphatic
- Encourage empathy:The feeling of empathy should be encouraged in your child which will only make him more humble as he grows old
- Teach politeness:Good manners must be instilled in little ones and showing empathy towards one another is the best way to do so. Teach your child to be polite to people, regardless of their age and how they will receive the same treatment in return
- Don’t get angry on your child:You must not show anger towards your child every time he disobeys you as it will only shut him down. You can calm yourself for a minute and speak gently to him about his bad behaviour and the consequences it brings along. The more anger you show to your child, the more he will learn the same from you. Try being empathic with him so that he can return the favour to you by being polite and honest
- Charity:The best way to teach your child the value of empathy is to involve him in charitable events. You need not enrol your little one in a formal volunteering group but rather encourage him to donate his toys to the poor child he always notices on the street or simply share his lunch box with fellow mates at the school
Family as a unit will enforce a feeling of belongingness in your child and help him keep focused in life. It brings a sense of security to the child by knowing that his family will always stand by him when in need.
Lack of this family bonding can lead to all sorts of problems, such as lack of identity, which can often lead to anxiety, depression and low self-esteem in later life. These troubles can be avoided by reinforcing the feeling of trust and love in your child by spending quality time with him as a family.
Did you like the blog on teaching the importance of family values? Share your views and feedback with us in the comments section below.
| Jan 03, 2018
uvery seful tips !!!
| Jan 02, 2018
amazing suggestions! these suggestions will definitely help the family bond stronger and would help family members connect well with each other.