Central & State Government Schemes, Policies for Girl Child in India
Created by Anubhav Srivastava Updated on Jan 21, 2019
Children are the future of India and Girls are no exception to this golden thumb rule. In accordance with this, every generation should take control of the nation’s progress and maneuvers it into the future needs ensuring the well-being of all of us.
Unlikely the boy, the girl child had been facing issues pertaining to 'exposure to opportunities' in all spheres of life. To ensure that each girl child is cared and is educated to be able to help in nation building, the central government of India along with the State’s execution has launched various policies & schemes to uplift the education of the girl child at par with the boy child.
Central Government Schemes for Single Girl Child in India
Here is the list of best central & state govt sponsored policies/schemes for the welfare of the girl child in India. Read on.
#1. Sukanya Samriddhi Yojna
This government scheme is a part of the “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” campaign. The overall purpose and the objective of this scheme in India is to save the girl child from the atrocities and help her obtain a better education and along with a good future. As parents, you can begin early and start saving money for your daughter’s education and wedding. Under this scheme, one can start with any minimum amount to invest. You can deposit as little as Rs.100. The account remains active until 21 years from the date of opening the account.
Salient Features of the scheme
- This government schemes for girl child fetches a good benefit with an interest of 9.1%. It has tax benefits too. For tax benefits, as a part of the computation process, you will need to submit the premium slip along with other details.
- The girl should be less than 10 years old.
- The opening amount of the account is Rs 1,000.
- The maximum amount one can deposit is Rs 1,50,000 a year.
- Parents will have to pay in the account for 14 years. For example, you opened the account when your daughter was 3 years old, you will need to invest in this account until the girl turns 17 (3+14).
#2. Balika Samridhi Yojna
The Balika Samridhi Yojna as the name suggests meant to be for the upliftment of girls. This scheme was launched by the Govt. of India on 15th August 1997. Under this scheme all girls who are born on or after 15 August 1997 are eligible.
Salient Scheme Features
A gift of Rs. 500 at the time of her birth and second, a fixed amount will be deposited in her account whenever she heads to the next class during her school days (till class 10th). Below is the list of monetary benefit for the girl child:
- Up to Class 3rd - Rs.300/annum for each class
- For Class 4 - Rs.500 /annum
- For Class 5 - Rs.600/annum
- For Class 6 & 7- 700/annum for each class
- For Class 8 - Rs.800/annum
- For Class 9 & 10 - Rs.1000/annum for each class
- The girl should be born on or after 15 August 1997.
- She should belong to below poverty line.
- Only two girls from one family can avail the benefits.
#3. CBSE Scholarship Scheme/Policy for Girl Education
This scheme is a central government scheme aided by CBSE applicable for a single girl child to boost up girl education in India. The overall purpose and objective of the scheme is to give relaxation in school tuition fee with the growing demands of infrastructure at the school level. The scheme is imposed on Government schools only.
Salient features of the scheme
- Under this scheme, the girl will get a relaxation of Rs.500 per month in her school tuition fee.
- The girl should have scored 60 % or 6.2 CGPA in her 10th boards.
- The girl should be a student of a government school. (Till 10th boards)
- She should be the single girl child of her parents.
- Her school fee should not be more than Rs.1500 a month.
State Govt Sponsered Schemes for Girl Child in India
Apart from the central government, various Indian State Government also runs various other schemes for a girl child. Necessary information can be obtained in the District Collectorate Office. Some of the popular schemes listed here...
- Mukhyamantri Rajshri Yojna - Rajasthan
- Mukhyamantri Kanya Suraksha Yojna - Bihar
- Mukhyamantri Laadli Yojna – MP & UP
Hope this information helpful for you & your girl child' future. Do comments, Like and Share.