How to help my child deal with fear of failure?
Created by Shweta Chopra Updated on Jan 21, 2021
Every child goes through fearful phases during their growing years ...some fear the dark, some going alone to the bathroom, some fear natural calamities etc. The over exposure to harsh energies through television, movies and internet expose them to facts they cannot handle at such a tender age. Add to it our drawing room conversations—murders, rapes,theft, kidnapping have become household conversations leading to information that instills fear in a childs sensitive heart.
Also, for most growing up children the fear of failure in examinations is a reality. Given the pressure to do well in examinations and make it through a college of desired choice, makes the entire examination period almost traumatic for children
Here are some ideas that will help your child deal with the fear of failure and exam stress too.
1) Give children a sense of security: We, as parents, need to develop a strong sense of inner security in our children. We need to build in them a faith that all is going well and will also be okay in future. Besides comforting and encouraging words, this security can be instilled in them through prayer, chanting and few minutes of inner connect through activities like meditation.
2) Initiate child into deep breathing to de-stress: We have an inbuilt radar system that helps us release mental stress if we connect inwardly through breathing in peaceful thoughts. It is a well-researched and documented fact that breath work in itself plays a huge role in relaxing our mind and body. 10-20 minutes of deep breathing, will refresh your child’s mind and help him deal with the stress.
3) A few minutes of chanting 'AUM' which holds sacred vibrations of peace, love and harmony can help raise the vibration of the house creating a sense of security in the child and other family members. Do this every day with your child to initiate him also into the healing effects of Aum chanting.
4) Watch out the information reaching your child: Monitoring what our child is gathering through available sources of information is the first step to help them but that is not going to be enough. As parents we need to make conscious effort to guage the maturity levels of our child before discussing sensitive issues with him or around him.
5) Be there for your child: Assure your child again and again that come what may, you as parents will always stand by him. Assure him that he needs to try his best, but not get worried by the results. Also, in case your child does show any symptoms of stress, fear of failure, exhaustion, take him away from his books for a while. Stroll with him in the park, share some funny anecdotes, or just be simply silly with him to refresh him.
The rituals of meditation, chanting along with parental support can be a lifelong gift to our children who need to imbibe early on the skills to release negativity and stress in order to live healthier lives.
Shweta Chopra is a Life Coach and Spiritual Healer. She has been dealing with children and teen issues, parental anxieties, and pregnancy fears for a long time now and helps people connect with their inner selves. She has a popular page facebook/Communicative-Souls
| Mar 03, 2016
Hi I live in Bangalore. My 6th grade daughter is not able to gel with her classmates and is always in a negative frame of mind at home and outside.. as parents we feel she needs counselling and a healthy atmosphere where yoga meditation and spirituality is given importance. Could u suggest me what needs to done please.
| Mar 07, 2016
Hi Chaithra, Start meditating or doing Yoga together as a family. Mark out a time during the day, anytime... night, afternoon.. when there is no maid or anyone ekse to disturb and do some deep breathing exercises, or simply hold hands and chant a prayer, or AUM. Doing it together boosts the child's motivation... and then casually sit and talk to her as a friend. this should help. I don't know whether the admin of parentune will allow it or not, i can suggest you to reach out to me on my fb page, communicative souls, or drop a msg at communicativesouls76@gmail. com. After talking to you personally i will get a clearer picture. thanks
| Mar 14, 2017
hi my child 10uear old, is very talkative, smart intelligent, but if u say something she is grandmother how to deal with grandmother's she too fear ful in her attitude also very lazy to do thing how can I make her do yoga and make her concentration stronger pls help
| Apr 19, 2020
my child is 9n half yr old . he is afraid of something after he watched porn accidentally on iPad . he is getting tensed n has lost weight in a week's time. he is unable to expree his fear. we even visited doc but he is scared of something which he is unable to express .. he is worried abt his future life n he is wanted me to stay by him all the time .. not getting what should be done n how to get rid of his fear n my tension!