How To Increase Your Underweight Child's Appetite
Created by Soma Sarkar Updated on Mar 25, 2019
Whether it is urban and rural environment for a new mother her love for her new bundle of joy is endless. Bonding sessions between babies and mothers is during feeding. Not only when breastfeeding, also when feeding solids. And this beautiful journey of introducing new foods to baby needs to be enjoyed by both mother and baby. Unfortunately, the joy often gets crashed by a big WHY– why is my baby not gaining weight?
Nutrition (balanced diet) during early life may have a long-lasting influence on children’s development especially for the first two years of life. By the age of 3 if your child is still underweight then the question arises what to do and why is this happening?
What are the reasons?
There can be varied reasons like picky eating, no time schedule for meals, genetic, home environment, stress and lot more.
What to do?
How to overcome all these hurdles let's take a look on below tips. I am sure it is going to be a win win situation for all.
How to increase the appetite.
1) Fix a schedule according to your child's day. It can happen that in the beginning they refuse to go with the clock. Two snacks in between breakfast lunch and dinner. But eventually make it a habit. It's ok if your child not finishing the plate. Bring the breakfast the most important meal of the day.
2) Make sure they are exercising everyday whether running or any sports engage them. Play with them so they can be hungry. Be ready to give a healthy snack.
3) Fresh lime juice does wonders. Yoghurt with fresh fruits can be added.
4) Keep trying to have meal with everyone so the child can see and eat himself, make the meal time enjoyable and interactive with other family members. Tell stories of all that's related to food.
5) Local fruits they can be served like a fruit salad or fresh juice.
6) All kind of nuts and legumes can be added in snacks as sprouts salad (be careful if your baby is allergic)
7) Cook at home and serve fresh and hot. Tell your child or make them see you preparing food. It can enhance their appetite. Let them help you tasting or adding salt in your dish. Buy groceries with them.
8) As our grandparents say add ghee, butter to their diet. Make variety and different and decorative every day so it can surprise their taste buds. Try to find organic and fresh produce. Potatoes are also a weight gainer.
9) If you are a non-vegetarian then you don't have to worry at all Eggs are the god of protein and other minerals, fresh water fish and chicken or meat can surely increase the much needed weight factor.
10) Dairy products is must for healthy bone growth make them interesting by having milkshakes, paneer or tofu sandwich, cheese parathans .
11) Of you are again concern you can always ask your pediatrician for supplements that can help.
Being a parent it can be overwhelming sometimes we can be in stress or exhausted doing everything for our little one, please be free to ask for help from your loved one's.You know , what if you see there is positively some weight gain then all your hard work will be worth.
Give it a try and don't stop loving and standing by them in every walk of life.