Importance Of Learning A Foreign Language Early In Life
Created by Sugandha Tiwari Updated on Sep 17, 2018
Children who are exposed to multiple languages at a young age have a much easier time processing and remembering the information. Your child's brain at a young age is super sharp and flexible to absorb stimulus from the environment around. Their brain is constantly learning things at the subconscious level without much effort. They do not have to put much effort and get into complexities of learning rules of language. They just associate words with their meanings along with visuals.
Why It Is Easier For Children To Learn A Second Language?
Children at a young age are explorers and fearless. They literally do not know what is humour, what is right or wrong, what is funny, they don't know what are mistakes or what is perfection, what is dialect or what is accent? Thereby, they unabashedly play with language and express themselves. They enjoy learning it in the true sense. All these are key reasons why their learning capacity reaches its full potential and grasps language smoothly in comparison to adults.
Benefits Of Learning A Foreign Language
Here are some of the benefits of learning a foreign language from an early age.
- It will grow your child's brain: Introducing them to learn another language at this stage will really create a tremendous opportunity for their brain to grow as the brain during this time is like a clay ready to absorb anything
- Improves ability to grasp native language: It will increase the chances of improving your child's ability to grasp his/her own native language
- Strengthens creativity and imagination: One of the surprising ways of nurturing your child's creativity and imagination skills is by introducing him/her to learning a second language
- Sharpens memory: Learning a new language enables the brain to work faster and better with improved memory. Learning a new structure familiarizes the mind with new vocabulary and rules
- Better problem solving and critical thinking skills: There are numerous studies that reveal language learning is more cognitive than linguistic. It trains your child's mind in thinking critically and using his/her problem solving abilities along with decision making
- Academic performance improves: With cognitive abilities becoming sharper in other areas, automatically the scope of academic performance improves. Areas like reading comprehension and vocabulary show a lot of improvement
- Confident personality: As the brain starts getting trained and other mental faculties become sharper, your child's personality will become far more confident
- Culturally aware and enriched: If your child is exposed to learning a new language from the early years, he/she will have far more richer knowledge of his/her culture, traditions, festivals, places and people
- Improved reading and comprehension: Learning a new language in a formal structured manner will make your child's reading and comprehension abilities better
- Able to make more friends from different cultures: If your child has learnt a foreign language he/she will have the opportunity to interact with people from that culture and expand on his/her circle of friends during cross cultural programs organized by schools or otherwise. It will also allow him/her to learn about others culture, traditions etc. and their styles of communication
- Good extracurricular activity for gifted children: It is a great extracurricular activity for your gifted child. It will keep his/her mind motivated, focussed and stimulated. It will also ensure that they remain enthusiastic
Did you find the blog on importance of learning foreign language from an early age useful? Is your family a multi-lingual family? Share your thoughts and views in the comments section below, as we would love to hear from you.
| Sep 19, 2018
hi my daughter is in 5th std. Please suggest some good English comprehension books to improve her English skills
| Jan 28, 2018
nice blog could yu plz tell me why is the right she to make a child learn foreign language
| Jan 27, 2018
| Jan 27, 2018
| Jan 25, 2018
| Jan 24, 2018
very pertinent blog. Sugandha Tiwari please guide me which is a better option between Sanskrit and a foreign language. just wanted to add child is okay with both .