Benefits Of Eating Papaya During Breastfeeding
Created by Nandini Muralidharan Updated on Jan 24, 2022
There are so many different "to-dos" and "don't-dos" that you hear during pregnancy and after delivery. And once your little one has arrived, you start feeling double the anxiety when you hear these things. One of the most common debates that you might be privy to is the effects of papaya when you're breastfeeding. Here's the good news – if you like green/unripe papaya, it has a ton of benefits for the lactating mother. Read on to find out more!
Benefits Of Green Papaya When You're Breastfeeding
A balanced diet with all classes of nutrients is absolutely essential when you're breastfeeding. Three portions of colorful fruits and vegetables provide all the required vitamins and minerals that your body needs. When taken in moderation, green or unripe papaya offers the following benefits-
- Galactagogue: Green papaya results in an increased production of oxytocin, the hormone that plays a key role in milk production. So across Asian countries, unripe papaya is a popular galactagogue among breastfeeding mothers.
Nutrition dense: The quality of your breastmilk can improve when you eat green papaya, as it is known to be a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Papaya contains high amounts of Vitamin C. This can boost immunity and keep colds and flus at bay
- Vitamin A, which is great for your eyesight, and is supposed to slow down ageing, is found in papaya
- Papaya is antioxidant-rich, and these help in preventing cancer and other major illnesses
- Green papaya contains potassium, which helps maintain electrolyte balance in the body. Potassium is extremely important for kidney functioning. It also promotes a healthy heart, and keeps your muscles functioning well
- Great for snacking: It is also a low-calorie, cholesterol-free, filling snack that you can have between meals. It detoxes your body. So you don't need to worry about putting on some extra kilos after delivery when you snack on papaya
How To Include Green Papaya In Your Diet While Breastfeeding?
Green papaya can be had either raw, or cooked as a curry. Here are some ways in which you can include green papaya in your meal-
- Salad: Grate raw papaya, add some lime, salt and pepper. You can even add some herbs of your choice for a different flavor, such as basil.
- Green papaya curry: You can cook green papaya with required spices, or stir fry it for a quick side dish
- Raw papaya with yogurt: You can whip up a tasty raita in no time with grated raw papaya. Include carrot, too, if you like. Just a pinch of chaat masala, and a tasty raita is ready!
- Parathas: Yes! Just like you use radish or any other vegetable, you can use raw papayas to make parathas, too. Just add while mixing the atta, and roll out the parathas
- Green papaya smoothie: You can prepare a healthy breakfast smoothie with papaya, carrot and some yogurt. Raw papayas are complemented well by potatoes, mustard oil, jeera and eggplant
When To Avoid Papaya During Breastfeeding?
While green papaya is beneficial to a lactating mother, there are cases where the mother might be allergic to it. An enzyme present in papaya is similar to latex, and this causes an allergic reaction. Here are some symptoms of the allergy.
- Rashes on the skin, which can be itchy
- Burning in the mouth and on the lips when you eat papaya
- Trouble breathing
- An extreme reaction could even be unconsciousness or to stop breathing
Please get immediate medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms, even if they are mild. It is a good idea to check with your doctor before you eat papaya when you're breastfeeding.
Breastmilk has all the nutrients your little one needs in the first few months of her life. So why not enhance its quality with a well-rounded, balanced diet? So try out some quick-fire recipes with green papaya and reap its benefits.
Did you find this blog on benefits of eating green papaya during breastfeeding, useful? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section!