Read to Lead – The Times SPARK Initiative
Created by Nandini Muralidharan Updated on Sep 15, 2019
A reader can make a leader. Times SPARK (Scholarship Programme for Awareness, Responsibility and Knowledge) is Times of India's initiative to inculcate a reading habit in students of Class IX to XII.
Reading has a powerful impact on young minds, and helps them understand what they need to be able to become the writers of a bright future. Reading about current events and the realities that affect our country is something that school children will benefit from immensely. Watch out for one article each day in the Times of India across a range of topics – politics, sports, technology and health among others. Over a span of three months, these articles will present various perspectives. At the end of this period, an online test and interview will gauge the student's understanding.
What Is The Scholarship Amount For Read To Lead Times SPARK?
Up to 400 deserving students will be given an educational grant ranging from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 2 lakhs. The top twenty students will also participate in a special orientation program organized by Bennett University with its partner universities.
Who Is Eligible For Read To Lead Times SPARK Scholarships?
The programme is eligible for students from standard IX to XII. There are two levels under which applications can be made-
- If a student is born between 01.07.2001 and 30.06.2004, he can apply under Level 1
- If a student is born between 01.07.1998 and 30.06.2001, he can apply under Level 2
What Are The Benefits Of Times SPARK For Schools?
The Times Of India will feature top 5 schools from each city having the maximum enrolment for the program.
Important Dates For Times SPARK
- The registrations begin on the 25th of July and were to close on the 15th of August, 2017, but the date was later extended to 31st August 2017
- The articles will be published starting from 5th of September, 2017, that is, on Teacher's Day
- The online test will be held in the mid of December 2017
- Interviews will start from early January 2018
- And the results of Times SPARK will be out on 26.01.2018