7 Benefits of Selecting a Nearby School for Your Preschooler
Created by Ankita A Talwar Updated on Feb 23, 2020
With nursery school admission time on, here is a blog that gives you quick pointers on why you should look for a neighborhood school for your child, versus a school that is far off. When it comes to choosing a school for your child, most experts, and in fact parents also, suggest going in for a neighbourhood school or a school close to your house.
Why Choose Neighborhood School For Child
We have rounded up 7 reasons why parents support their take behind choosing nearby schools for your kids. Read below
- Less Physically Tiring on the Child - Less travel time means less exhaustion for your child. Given the traffic jams etc., do you really want your child to be sitting in a school bus for 45 minutes or more, one way, every day, including extreme weather conditions?
- More Available Time - With less traveling, your child is left with more time at hand. The same time can be used to help the child rest and relax, enjoy some free-play, and indulge in unstructured activities, he prefers. For eg: if he is back home on time in the afternoon, give him a free run to do anything he wishes, till his nap time or evening.
- More Access to Extra-curricular Activities - Most schools have a format where extra-curricular activities, including preparation for tournaments and contests and other team activities, are done post-school hours. With a school that is in the vicinity, it is easier to have your child attend these as he doesn’t need too much time to travel back home.
- More Access to Academic Support - Your child can easily reap the benefit of extra classes, consultation with teachers and seeking their help, done post-school hours if he has time on his hands versus when he has to travel long distances to get back home.
- Less Stressful for Parents - On days when the regular transport is not available: During examinations, sports days, annual days, etc. when the regular school transport has been suspended, if your child is in a nearby school, it is less stressful for you to pick and drop him if he is in the vicinity.
- Available for Emergencies - With very small children, including those who have health issues such as breathing ailments, there can always be an emergency for which the parent needs to rush to the school. In such a case, a neighbourhood school is more accessible.
- Similar Type of Crowd - A neighborhood school is preferred by parents of the same locality and therefore your child, meeting people of a similar background and mindset are much higher. This gives the child a feeling of belongingness.
If the neighborhood school you are considering, meets your other criteria of being a good school—academic balance, teacher quality, infrastructure, etc.—then you should go ahead with it and reap the benefits.
| Aug 02, 2016
Very True ! I totally agree ..there are parents who really picky while choosing the schools n locality.. They dont realize how much child health and growth will be affected. I have seen parent who put to far school and later of child suffering after a year ,change the school and put to the nearby school!