Give A Sponge Bath To Your Baby : Do's & Don'ts
Created by Cheena M Gujral Updated on Mar 27, 2018
When it comes to babies, simple tasks like first shower and dress change are milestones. Also keeping them tidy is very important part of healthy living. Giving shower or dipping in bathtub is not safe with fresh umbilical cord. So a mild sponging is a preferable method in infants.
What Is A Sponge Bath?Gentle top and toe wiping is a pleasing experience in babies termed as sponge bath. Starting from the first day to few initial months, newborns are mostly sponged until the umbilical cord dries up and falls of automatically. Microfiber cloth or a soft towel is acceptable to clean side by side.
Preparations For A Sponge Bath-Keeping things ready in advance will surely help while you sponge bathe your angel. Being well acquainted with all requirements, eases the task.
- Keep the room warm and ready with required stuff for comfortable experience
- Check the temperature of water to be used. It shall not be too warm or too cold for a baby
- Large soft hooded towel to wrap along with a washcloth/ Sponge
- A holding blanket, fresh clothe and diaper for baby
- Moisturisers or cream to soothe the skin
Most important thing is to make a bath routine for your baby. You may opt day time or before bed, as per suitability. This will help infant be synchronized with the idea of sponging. Before starting, always keep the baby comfortable with no sense of panics.
How To Do Sponge Bath?
- Prepare your baby calmly. Undress her gradually as per the body parts, you are aiming to clean. Don't undress her completely, it may insecure the child. Sing a song or play with the little fingers
- Choose a flat surface to perform the task and hold your baby firmly yet softly. The head shall always be supported with your one hand
Start With Eyes-
- Firstly clean the eye from centre to the corners with soft cotton. Dap cotton is good enough to wipe away the eye goop. Don't wash the eyes
Wash The Face-
- Face is very delicate part with eyes, nose and mouth. So wipe softly around neck, behind ears, under chin and creases to clean the deposited milk or dirt
- Don't forget to wash head/hairs as they gather oil and dirt too. Too much washing and shampooing is not recommended. Do it on weekends for keeping them soft and germs free. Use your free hand to wet hair and pat them dry, covering with towel hood later,/li>
Neck And Chest-
- These are to be followed after face. Now you can unwrap your baby over chest, keeping the diaper part intact. Open arms, remove dirt in armpits and elbow joints neatly
- Turn the baby over the tummy to clean the back with sponge
- This is the crucial part in babies. Start with removing diaper and wipe private parts; front and backwards, both in girls and boys. Be careful while you handle genitals which may be circumcised in boys. Gently apply the anti-rash remedy and cover with diaper or cloth, as suitable
Lastly wash the body from waist to toes, wiping legs and knee areas which tend to accumulate dirt. Between the fingers area is must to clean. Be ready with moisturises to apply over the body and then dress up your star with fresh clothes. Avoid any wetness to keep infections away.
Importance Of Sponging-It helps in developing sensory alertness and nourishes mother child bond. The gentle touch leads to cognitive, emotional and sociological developments. The routine of cleaning your baby is actually helping her grow good and better. Where sponging is a pleasure for a germ free child, it is a heap of lovely memories for a mother too.
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Please share your thoughts, ideas and feedbacks with us in the comments section below; we’d love to hear from you!