Top 10 Halloween attires for Children
Created by Malini Updated on Oct 27, 2015
While I was growing up, Halloween in India was confined to tempting references in Nancy Drew books or in the much anticipated “Family English Movie nights” on the VCR on Fridays. The sheer novelty of the whole concept of dressing up and making the rounds of your neighbourhood crying “Trick or Treat!” made it absolutely fascinating to my young impressionable mind.
Halloween has all the trappings of a child's favourite fantasy – there are costumes, there’s the thrill, and a load of goodies to collect – what’s not to love? I remember wondering why we did not celebrate it in India, and how cool it would be if we did. Fast forward to today, and voila! WE DO! For the last couple of years I’ve had to set a reminder on my phone for 31st October, to buy some candy for the neighbourhood children who are sure to come by.
I was caught unawares the first time, and the children were not at all pleased, to say the least! Some might argue that it’s an “imported” occasion, and that it has no cultural significance in the Indian context, but I think it’s all good, as long as we make sure we celebrate it in the right spirit, right alongside all the festivals of our 'own culture'. After all, an extra bit of fun never hurt anyone, did it?
Coming down to brass tacks , Halloween costumes have come a long way from the ones worn by those characters from my childhood memories – be it in India or the rest of the world. No longer will a simple pointy witch hat with a broom or fake Dracula fangs with a black overcoat suffice. Today’s children need it a notch higher, and it’s interesting how every year we see new favourites.
The trending Halloween Costumes
My conversations with fellow moms in my neighbourhood as well as at work reveal the following trends among the children and tweens. (The teens are "anyways too cool for all this", I’m told! )
1. Anything 'FROZEN': If you’re a parent to a young child, you already know that we’re not talking subzero temperatures here, but the smash hit Disney production which has taken the world by storm. 'Frozen' themes are rampant everywhere, from birthday parties to play dates, to fancy dress competitions, to talent shows. No wonder it’s also a chart topper in Halloween costumes – and there are enough adorable characters to choose from, be it for a little girl or a boy.
2. Minions: The uber cute one-eyed creatures from the 'Despicable Me' series are unarguably a close second this year. Every second child I meet these days loves them. It’s also not very hard work for parents to dress them as one; all you need are goofy goggles and a pair of denim dungarees.
3. Avengers Superheroes: Between Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, the Black Widow and the likes, children as well as parents are spoilt for choice. Yes, the costumes are slightly more elaborate. but then, what are all the party shops for?
4. Star Wars: This is probably one where even parents would have a feeling of déjà vu. With the release of the latest movie in the Star Wars trilogy, the young generation has also got hooked – and from what I hear, the iconic dialog “May the Force be with you” has once again captured imaginations and many are looking forward to dressing up as their favourite Star Wars character.
5. Dracula: Good old Count Dracula with his bloodied fangs still holds sway, and with his flowing cape and dark eyes, this costume probably never goes out of style.
6. Twilight: Vampire mania continues here too, and while it’s primarily the tweens that we’re talking about here, Edward and his ilk have maintained their popularity over the years.
7. Harry Potter: This is my favourite, though you can say I’m partial. I find the magical Hogwarts and everything associated with it super attractive, and with a little imagination, I think someone from Potter world would be quite easy and fun to dress up as!
8. Batman and other superheroes: Superheroes never go out of fashion, especially Batman. I’ve seen Batman and Spiderman costumes at almost every party shop I’ve come across. Goes to show that you can’t really go wrong if you choose one of them.
9. Transformers: Who doesn’t like robots, right? And if those robots are as magically powered as the transformers, even better! So go all out and dress your children up as one the cool robots, and you’ll win accolades yourself as a cool parent!
10.Jurassic Park: Ok, so this was helpfully suggested to me by my 10-year-old nephew, when we were discussing this subject. Apparently, many in his class wanted to be a “dinosaur” this Halloween, and I’m quite amused visualizing tiny dinosaurs walking all around!
Don’t let your child miss out on the chance to wear these costumes. Check out the latest Halloween parties in the city here.
Author Bio - Malini Bhattacharjee works as a Program Manager for a software company, but is extrmely passionate about writing. She is also a mom to a 2.5 year old, hence very interested in everything to do with children. In her free time enjoys spending time with her child and inspiring other parents through her articles.
Some custom error
Some custom error