Travelling with Children— tips to make it easier
Created by Sukanya Banerjee Updated on May 16, 2016
All of us love to travel. So did us! Till date, we had always travelled on our own or with a group of like-minded friends. But the game changes when the baby was born. And I started wondering whether one can continue with those fun trips which were decided over a casual chat session? The little one needed so many things even when I was going to just spend a day with my mom.
The first few trips, I took with the baby, were family ones as we had to attend two important weddings in the family. And so, the little one took three flights within a span of two months, to be able to attend the weddings of aunts and uncles. But that was not really a vacation for us. But what these trips had given me was a confidence of being able to travel with a baby and the experience as I had stayed in hotels and relatives house during these weddings.
Babies can adjust
But then again, these were family functions, and there were a host of people around to support me and therefore I was slightly sceptical about whether I can manage a trip on my own with the little one is tow. So, the first real vacation was again with parents and my brother so that I had more than a couple of hands to help me through. This actually helped me to realise that this little one can adjust to a great extent to wherever and however we take him. He can sleep in the car. Eat almost anything from our plates (as far as it is not too spicy). And so after three weddings and one family trip, I was the pro now in handling my little one on these trips.
We had done many car trips--both long and short with him. The baggage kept getting smaller with time. But I still need to carry tons of stuff to keep him engaged en route.
At the destination
Now the place. Relaxing trips are over, I guess. But here are some pointers that will make a trip easier for you:
- Travel with couples who have children of similar ages so that all of them stay busy.
- Generally children love the beach more than the mountains.
- Children need breaks to sit down and relax if you plan to tour the whole day.
- Shopping with children on a vacation? A complete no-no I guess. But we woman can never divert from our shopping spree even if it is a small town. We will find something to buy for sure. The husbands or male companions usually come to our rescue.
- Travel with loads of story books.
- Carry colouring books, pencils and colour pencils. Sometimes they work like wonders. But again make sure there is one for every child.
- A rough book and a pen also work wonders. Engage them in writing about their trip if you are travelling by flight or train.
If you want to relax and enjoy your trip, take a lot of things which your child enjoys. It can be anything from a book or a rough book, or a favourite game which he can play. As long as he is engaged, you are free to take rest or do things which you like.
| Apr 24, 2017
| Dec 29, 2016
| Jul 18, 2016
| Jul 04, 2016
| Jul 04, 2016
| May 19, 2016
| May 17, 2016
| May 16, 2016
| May 16, 2016
Great going sukanya.