What is Umbilical Hernia? Causes, Who is At Risk & Treatment Remedies
Created by Mansi Dubey Updated on Apr 25, 2021
A hernia occurs when an intestine or bladder pushes through an opening in the abdominal wall. It is a lump that is visible under the skin in the tummy. Know its causes, symptoms, and treatment? Read now...
What Causes Umbilical Hernia?
While you are pregnant that umbilical cord is connected to your baby’s abdominal muscles through a small hole which usually closes after the baby is born. Unable to close, it creates an opening which is called an umbilical hernia. It is common and occurs in 10% to 20% of all children. [Also Know: What Is Inguinal Hernia?]
Sign & Symptoms of Umbilical Hernia
- Bulge or swelling in the belly button area
- Clearly visible when your baby cries, coughs or strains while pooping
- A hernia is firm and has redness
- Discoloration of the hernia
- A hernia that cannot be pushed back into the abdominal cavity
Who is At The Risk for Developing Hernia?
A hernia occurs more often in children who have one or more of the following risk factors:
- Undescended Testes
- Abnormality in the genitourinary system
- A parent or sibling who has a hernia as an infant
Umbilical Hernia Treatment Advice
Most umbilical hernia closes on its own by the age of 3 to 4 and does not need any kind of treatment. If the closure doesn’t occur, surgery is usually advised. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, the surgeon will make a small incision under the belly button and close the hernia by stitching it. After the surgery, there will be no need to remove the stitches because they will dissolve on its own under the skin.
The chances of hernia to occur again are very small.
Home Remedies for Treating Hernia in Babies
- Water: provide your baby with an adequate amount of water throughout the day. Water is known to keep the system clean and can reduce the problem of umbilical hernia. Also, it improves blood circulation.
- Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants and have a high content of fiber which improves the immune system. Berries are considered among the best natural cure of umbilical hernia.
- Coconut and olive oil: coconut and olive oil are considered highly effective in reducing the umbilical hernia in babies. Regularly massage your baby’s abdomen 3 to 4 times per day.
Aloe Vera: you may extract aloe vera juice and add it to your baby’s meal if he/she is over 6 months of age. If your baby is younger than 6 months you can give him/her a teaspoon of aloe vera juice after consulting a doctor.
A hernia can be very painful for your child even when it’s not dangerous. It is best to identify the signs and symptoms early on and consult a doctor for better treatment.
| May 10, 2020
I was looking at some of fertility boost supplements and saw the title of this post! I had to read it. Although I have not had a miscarriage, my husband and I had fertility issues for about 2 years. Those years shaped me and grew us so much. We were not able to conceive and had the blessing through Dr Michael Casper and i have male child called Miles on December 6, who are now 3. am very happy to be a mother and my partner a father,we are a big family now all because of Dr Michael Casper pregnancy fertility medicine .if you are passing through pregnancy issue kindly contact my Doctor on email michaelcasper@dr. com