Wheezing In Your Child - Causes, Signs & Home Remedies
Created by Harleen Gupta Updated on Sep 01, 2018
An ailing child is a mother's nightmare. One cough, or a tiny sneeze is enough to drive a mother paranoid. And then come the sleepless nights. Cold, cough, flu and viral infections are all common among young children because of their low levels of immunity.However, there are some conditions that we must not ignore. One of these is wheezing. Though pretty common and easily treatable, wheezing is one sign you must pay attention to. Read on to find out about wheezing, and what you must do if your child faces this issue.
What Is Wheezing?
Simply put, wheezing is a sort of whistling sound that comes when you breathe. It generally occurs when the airways become narrow due to inflammation or a buildup of mucus in them. The sound is more prominent when a child exhales but when wheezing gets serious, the sound is audible even when the child inhales. Also remember, wheezing is a sign, not a disease in itself. Wheezing is noticed with asthma sometimes. However, not all children who have asthma wheeze, and wheezing episodes do not always indicate the presence of asthma.
What Causes Wheezing In Toddlers?
When the airway gets narrow, the air makes a sound while coming out or going in depending on how serious the condition is. In case there are other symptoms combined with wheezing, you must take your little one to doctor immediately. The airways of your child could get narrow due to the following reasons.
- Swelling: When airways swell up, the linings get narrow
- Croup: This can cause a hoarse cough
- Bronchospasm: When the muscle within the lining of the airway contracts and constricts them
- Excessive mucus: Excessive secretion of mucus can narrow down the airways. This can be due to cold
- Foreign object: In case your little one inhales any small particle or object (which they definitely can). Choking can be quite serious and needs immediate medical attention
- Tumor: Abnormal growth or tumors could also cause blockage or narrowing of airways
- Illness or allergy: Respiratory Tract Infection, pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, reaction to smoke can all cause wheezing
What Are The Symptoms Of Wheezing In Children?
Although it is best to let the doctor diagnose the problem, some common symptoms and signs of wheezing that can be easily recognized are.
- Whistling sound while breathing
- Labored or heavy breathing
- Tightening feeling in the chest
- Shortness of breath/difficulty in breathing
Wheezing Treatment For Children
Wheezing is very common among children, especially toddlers. Almost one in three kids would have had a bout of wheezing at least once before their third birthday. There are easy treatments available for wheezing, and your doctor can easily diagnose and treat it. The treatment for wheezing associated illness has to cater to two problems: Narrow airways and tightened breathing tubes, for which the doctor would recommend the following.
- Anti-inflammatory medicines: To minimize the inflammation and narrowed airways, the pediatrician will recommend anti-inflammatory medications for your child so that the blocked or narrowed airways can be opened up and the whistling sound can reduce. These medications will also help reduce the excessive mucus. Generally, the doctor will prescribe syrups in case of toddlers. But for quick relief, you may be advised to nebulize your child. Never give your child any over the counter medicine on your own
- Expectorants or inhalers: Your child's pediatrician will recommend an expectorant in case your child in non-asthmatic. In case of asthmatic children, doctors will suggest inhalers. This is to open up the blockages in the breathing tubes and allow sufficient air to pass through and relax the muscles lining the tubes for a fast relief
How To Control Wheezing With Home Remedies?
Here are some home remedies that you can try if your child has a bout of wheezing. An episode of wheezing can irritate your child, and affects the way he sleeps. Try these remedies to soothe your child.
- Humidifier/air purifier: There is a high possibility that your child is wheezing due to allergy or air dryness. Using air purifiers and humidifiers at home will help as dry air worsens the cough
- Steam: Run the shower for a long time until there is steam all over the bathroom and make your child sit in there. This will help in clearing out and opening the airways
- Warm liquids: If you have a toddler, serve him soups and warm fluids that have the dual benefit of hydrating the body as well as easing breathing difficulties
- Stop smoking: Ask everyone in the house to quit or abstain from smoking around your baby. Tobacco fumes make breathing difficult for children, and aggravate cough
- Dusting: Clean all surfaces in your house and use a vacuum cleaner to remove any possible dust that could increase wheezing. Keep your baby away from dust and pollen
- Pets away: Keep the pets away from the child as much as possible. Tiny hair can get into airways and block them. Pets and dust both contain allergens that could make it difficult for your child to breathe
- No carpets: Avoid using any carpets or flooring that could trap dust particles in the house
The aim is to keep tiny particles away from the air your child breathes in. This way you can prevent the wheezing from getting worse.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Wheezing?
Most people feel that wheezing often leads to asthma, although that is not the truth. An episode of wheezing does not mean a child is prone to or already has asthma. Wheezing is caused due to obstruction in the airways, and goes most likely with some simple home remedies or medicines as prescribed by the doctor. Children often suffer from mild episodes of wheezing during change of seasons, and cough and cold episodes.
Incase, there is no relief in wheezing If the intensity of wheezing continues to grow, you must take your child to the doctor immediately for a checkup.
Did you find this blog on wheezing useful? Share your feedback with us in the comments section!
| Feb 25, 2019
i was diagnosed of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd) in 2012 at the age of 63. i had been a heavy smoker, my symptoms started out with dry cough and shortness of breath, i ended up in the hospital, on a ventilator. i should have known it was coming, but like most smokers, thought it would never happen to me. my copd got significantly worse and unbearable because of my difficulty catching breath. last year, i started on a natural copd herbal therapy from organic herbal clinic, i read a lot of positive reviews from patients who used the treatment and i immediately started on it. i had great relief with this herbal treatment. i breath very much better now, no case of shortness of breath or chest tightness since treatment. visit organic herbal clinic website w ww .organicherbalclinic. c om. this copd treatment is a miracle!!
| Jan 12, 2019
I have had COPD for a little over 9 years, i had severe shortness of breath. About two years ago, I began to do a lot of research and learnt about a COPD TREATMENT from Rich Herbs Foundation and their success rate with the treatment,i immediately started on the treatment, i experienced reduction/decline in major symptoms, including the shortness of breath, fatigue, cough and wheezing. Visit RHF page ww w. richherbsfoundation. c om. Its been over 1 years since treatment, i feel great and breath well
| Aug 07, 2018
I have had ASTHMA my whole life but about 7 years ago my asthma got so bad and was diagnosed of EMPHYSEMA/COPD which was most likely due to the asthma. I was on double antibiotics and steroids, still didn't feel any better. My lungs were constantly wheezing in all four chambers, i already used Advair, Spiriva, and Albuterol in my nebulizer, they just didn’t do much. It was hell for me due to the severe difficulty breathing. My sister in-law told us about Rich Herbs Foundation where she ordered herbs that effectively treated her arthritis. We ordered their COPD TREATMENT after reading alot of positive reviews from other patients, i am happy to report the COPD TREATMENT was very effective for my lungs condition, every one of my symptoms including difficulty breathing, respiratory infections, chronic cough and wheezing has simply stopped. Visit www. richherbsfoundation. com. I will be 52 soon and have never been healthier
| Jul 03, 2018
I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2008, I have to be on oxygen 16 hours minimum. I have 27% lung function. I have lost count of the times that I have been hospitalized. I worked full time, but found it was getting too much for me, so i decided to find a better solution to get rid of the disease totally,during my research i came across https://totalcureherbalfou5.wixsite.com/herbal/contact Totalcureherbalfoundation@gmail. com which i purchase the products from them, the tremendous cure has successful stop this disease from progression and gradually alleviate all symptoms which including chest pressure, shorts of breath. this herbal formula really saved my life after several years of pains but now im fully cured.
| Jun 26, 2018
Has your little one been spending sleepless nights because of wheezing? If you want to know more about respiratory infections in childhood and what causes a wheeze, check out this article. https://www.parentcircle.com/article/wheezing-in-children-25-things-to-know-about-this-respiratory-infection/
| Jun 01, 2018
Thank you for information... My child Devyam is 4 yr old... And he is a recurrent wheezer.
| Jun 01, 2018
thanks for the info abt wheezing.. it would be of great help as my nine year son also suffers from the same.
| May 31, 2018
| May 28, 2018
| Apr 29, 2018
I was diagnosed with Emphysema. My symptoms included shortness of breath, dizziness, lack of oxygen to all body parts, numbness of fingers, no energy, no appetite, fatigue, and bloodshot eyes. I was living at a place that has mold and mildew in the air conditioning unit. I also smoked a pack a day for 20 years. The Pulmonologist started me on Spiriva and Advair plus nose sprays, to reduce symptoms and slow down progression but I could not tolerate them for long due to severe side effects so I opted not to go on prescription medicines but decided on using herbs instead, October 18, 2017 after being on the herbs you recommended, i had a total recovery from Emphysema disease with this natural herbal formula treatment. The shortness of breath, dizziness has subsided. When I stumbled upon you guys, it was just pure instinct. And from that day on it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. The caring that goes into explaining what herbs work for whatever ails me is astounding. In today’s world where so many are after a quick buck, selling without care, Natural Herbal Garden’s staffs amplifies the difference. I’m a believer in karma, and for generations to come, this is a herbal store that will be leaving it’s footprint in this world. Visit NATURAL HERBAL GARDENS official web site www. naturalherbalgardens. com A world of thanks to The Natural Herbal Gardens!”
| Feb 15, 2018
I have had emphysema for about five years. I was on oxygen during the day but not at night. I could go about two hours without the oxygen, and then I need it. I had a converter in the house and oxygen tanks for when I go shopping, etc. I am 64 years old and in relatively good health. The doctor said it was caused by a combination of smoking, dust here in Vegas, and 30 years of smog in California. I believed I will always need the oxygen to breathe. I quit smoking 15 years ago. But the damage has been done. January 2017 my pulmonologist and I decided to go with natural treatment and was introduced to Green House Herbal Clinic natural organic Emphysema Herbal formula, i had a total decline of symptoms with this Emphysema Herbal formula treatment. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official web-site ww w. greenhouseherbalclinic. com. The infections, shortness of breath, fatigue, dry cough and other symptoms has subsided. I am very pleased with this treatment. I breath very well now and exercise regularly, sometimes i totally forget i ever had Emphysema, I am thankful to nature, the medics failed. Share with friends!!
| Feb 12, 2018
yeah even my son is having the wheezing problm... but it gets reduced year by year.... mostly I avoid the foods like citric foods and cold dishes..
| Dec 27, 2017
my little one is also have the same problem. plz tell me some remedy. plz
| Nov 01, 2017
my baby also facing this wheezing problem... please tell some remedies to take care in natural way
| Oct 23, 2017
pnqbknh jaithiba ok getting 5
| Sep 20, 2017
hi puloma pandey snoring is different from wheez bcoz snoring resembles sound sleep tierd baby rests with snore that time breathing of baby i. e,exhaling rate may vary whereas wheeze occur during obtruction in airway
| Sep 19, 2017
| Sep 18, 2017
can we say wheezing as a kind of mild snore or it is something different.
| Sep 18, 2017
thanks for sharing this useful blog with tips to combat wheezing . i can relate to it as I too dread cold and cough episodes in my children. definitely this blog is going to help us , as winters in the offing .