World IVF Day- Essential Things You Need To Know About The IVF Treatment
Created by Ridhi Dogra Updated on Jul 26, 2022
World IVF Day is celebrated on the 25th of July every year. The day is special because it marks the birthday of the first baby who was conceived and birthed successfully. The day is celebrated to create awareness about the importance of the IVF as an effective method of conceiving.
History Behind World IVF Day
The history of the IVF treatment can be traced back to the 1970s when Louise Joy Brown was born on the 25th of July 1978, and he was the first baby to be born through the IVF treatment. And from that day onwards, IVF was seen as an effective and a reliable reproductive technology for conceiving babies. So, if you are planning to opt for the IVF treatment, mentioned below are the important Do’s and Don'ts revolving around the IVF treatment-
1. Eat a Healthy Diet- First and foremost, make sure that you eat a healthy and a well-balanced diet. Healthy and a well-balanced diet will give all the essential nutrients and nourishment to the body of a mother who is preparing to conceive her child. Make sure that you include all the necessary fruits and green leafy vegetables.
2. Encourage a Healthy Sleep Cycle - Apart from a well-balanced and a healthy diet, make sure that you encourage the mother to be about the healthy benefits of a proper and regular sleep cycle. In fact, a sleep cycle can have a great impact on one’s fertility. Getting proper sleep will help in the releasing of the hormone melatonin. This will further promote the improvement in reproductive functions. So try to get at least 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep on a regular basis.
3. Opt for a High Fluid Diet - There is a possibility that your body can experience the side effects of IVF. However, the severity of the symptoms can be brought down by the consumption of water and other healthy fluids. Therefore, you must aim to stay hydrated.
4. Focus on Your Mental Health- Stress, anxiety, and various other mental health issues can lower the success of the IVF treatment. Make sure there is no room for such negative emotions. Motivate the mother to engage and participate in various activities such as therapy, yoga, meditation, etc as all this will help in maintaining a good mental health.
5. Follow Certain Limitations During Intercourse - Having intercourse during the IVF treatment is absolutely fine. However, it is important for the men to ensure that they avoid ejaculation from the week before the sperm is drawn for the treatment. Intercourse can also cause discomfort. So, make sure that you are following all the precautions.
1. Avoid Smoking and Drinking- Smoking and drinking both should be avoided before, during, and post IVF treatment. The intake of unhealthy substances can hinder the success rate of the IVF treatment. They can also cause some serious negative effects.So make sure to avoid all such materials while undergoing the procedure.
2. Don’t Consume Medicines Without Doctor’s Prescription- Another important factor that you must consider when undergoing the IVF procedure is to not take any medicines without the doctor’s prescription. During the IVF treatment and even when you are pregnant make sure that you are very careful with whatever medications you are consuming. Always cross check with your doctor before taking any new medicines.
3. Don’t Make Any Major Changes to the Diet- Though it is recommended to eat healthy during the IVF treatment but make sure you make all the necessary changes and alterations before the treatment. Sudden and major changes for which your body is not ready should be avoided.
4. Avoid the Food Rich in Mercury- Lastly, make sure that you don’t include any food items that are rich in mercury. Simply because the food items that are rich in mercury can be very dangerous for the procedure and may even affect your health.
These are some of the Do’s and Don'ts that you must follow if you are planning to undergo an IVF treatment. Make sure to have open communication and talk freely about everything with your doctor. Moreover, even your lifestyle changes can impact the success rate of your IVF treatment. Therefore, it is advisable to consult a doctor before trying out any new activity or diet.