Is it safe to drink chamomile tea during pregnancy?
Created by Payal Updated on Dec 14, 2020
Tea is a delicious beverage that can chill you down on a hot summer day and warm you up in cold winter months. The custom of preparing and drinking tea has been practiced for centuries. For one, I wouldn't trade my cup of tea for anything in the world. When I became pregnant some years ago, there was this huge debate on not having caffeine – and I love my cup so much that it was hard for me to imagine life without (or with limited quantity) of tea. And that is when I explored the options of herbal teas- like green tea, jasmine tea and chamomile tea. And if you are also like me, and wondering whether to switch from regular cup of tea or coffee with herbal teas, you should read this.
Benefits Of Drinking Tea
To keep it short, drinking a cup of tea is not only refreshing but a healthy practice as well. This is owing to the fact that tea contains polyphenols to protect your heart and antioxidants that boost our immune system. Several varieties of tea are available in the market. But if you're pregnant, not all teas are safe to drink. And voila! All the confusion begins, so let me ease one – that is for the vastly popular chamomile tea during pregnancy. But first, let us explore whether herbal teas are safe during pregnancy.
Are Herbal Teas Safe During Pregnancy?
Herbal teas are not necessarily made from tea plants. On the other hand, they can be made from root, seed, leaves, flowers, and berries of different types of plants. Drinking excessive amounts of any tea can cause health issues in the course of pregnancy. Likewise, not all herbal teas are safe during pregnancy even though their caffeine level is very low when compared to the normal tea. The herbs in teas are more concentrated than in food. Therefore, drinking that concentrated herbal formula can be more harmful even if eating them in small quantity is beneficial. Herbal teas can be as powerful as prescription drugs, and they also can have side effects. Therefore, you should be very careful while selecting an herbal tea. Also, never drink same the herbal tea for a longer stretch. Ingesting same herbs regularly for an extended period can create issues. You can switch between different herbal teas that are safe during pregnancy.
What Is Chamomile Tea?
Chamomile is a vastly popular herbal tea. Chamomile tea is made using the flowers of the chamomile plant. Since it is made from flowers, it has a lovely, fruity aroma which is both refreshing and soothing for both the body and the mind. Chamomile has been known to have several health, beauty, and nourishing benefits. With plenty of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea, it is being used as medicine for insomnia by a lot of people. A cup of chamomile tea also helps in boosting the immunity, fighting infections like cold and sore throat, the anti-spasmodic property of chamomile tea is helpful in relieving menstrual cramps etc.
Is It Safe To Drink Chamomile Tea During Pregnancy?
There is several contradictory information about the safety of drinking herbal teas when pregnant. Chamomile tea is not an exception. However, chamomile tea is normally regarded as safe in the course of pregnancy, as long as certain safety measures are followed and one sticks on to moderate and recommended amounts of tea.
How Much Chamomile Tea Can I Drink During Pregnancy?
Chamomile tea has no caffeine. Hence, it is safe for pregnant women who are concerned about caffeine consumption. However, limiting the amount is very important. Taking a cup or two of chamomile tea in pregnancy is fine. The safest way is to have one cup of chamomile tea every day. Half a cup in the morning and half a cup in the evening. Never make the tea strong by increasing the quantity of chamomile. Strongly prepared herbal tea will not only deliver the health benefits but also increases the chances of side effects.
What Is The Best Time To Drink Chamomile Tea During Pregnancy?
Best time to have chamomile tea is just before the bedtime. Chamomile tea is an excellent remedy for insomnia and helps to make you relax and attain good sleep.
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Chamomile Tea During Pregnancy?
Some of the benefits of drinking chamomile tea during pregnancy are:
- Fight insomnia: Insomnia and restlessness in pregnant women can be effectively cured with chamomile tea. Chamomile tea promotes sleep by fighting off anxiety and stress. It also has a slight sedative property
- Help to alleviate morning sickness: Morning sickness that causes a nauseating feeling is a common complaint during pregnancy. Chamomile tea with its fruity fragrance and a nice tantalizing flavour can alleviate the morning sickness and nausea in seconds
- Helps to reduce the cramps and discomforts: The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea help to fight stomach cramps and other stomach discomforts during pregnancy
- Boosts the immunity: Chamomile tea is rich in antioxidants and helps to boost the immune system that usually becomes weak during pregnancy
- Helps with proper digestion: Pregnancy is a period when you face lots of digestive issues. Using chamomile tea help to bring appetite and help you eat better. It helps you fight indigestion. It also helps to relieve any excess gas or related issues in your body
- Helps to fight infections: Drinking chamomile tea helps to relieve throat pain, sore throat, and scratchy throat. This will provide fast relief from cold and accompanying symptoms
What Are The Disadvantages Of Drinking Chamomile Tea During Pregnancy?
Besides the advantages, drinking more than the recommended amount of chamomile tea can trigger some side effects as well. Some of the side effects of chamomile tea are:
- Some compounds in Chamomile tea react with anaesthetic drugs. Therefore, if you doubt a possibility of C section, you should stop drinking chamomile tea at least two weeks before the surgery
- Similarly, chamomile can react with some medicines used as blood thinners (the tea itself has blood thinning property), pain killers (the tea itself causes drowsiness). The pain killers also might have sedative property), and some medicines used for treating infections. If you belong to any of these categories, consult a doctor before making chamomile tea a practice
- If you are allergic to pollen, especially to the pollen of flowers comes from the family of daisy, the possibility of developing allergic reaction increases which will hinder with the normal progression of pregnancy
Can Chamomile Tea Induce Labor?
There is no scientific evidence to prove that chamomile tea helps to induce labor. However, it is commonly believed that over consumption of chamomile tea can result in miscarriage. In theory, it is believed that chamomile tea can induce contractions. Actually, the muscle relaxing property of chamomile tea, which eases the menstrual cramps will more likely counteract inducing labor.
Drinking Chamomile Tea During The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy?
The third trimester of pregnancy is characterized by the sleepless night and muscle cramps. One or two cups of lightly brewed chamomile tea will help to relieve from these discomforts. But once the pregnancy progress to 40th week, it is better to stop having chamomile tea as it may delay the contractions and overdue pregnancy increases the chances of C-section.
| Dec 11, 2020
Omg I Finally Got Helped !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out.. I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail. com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542