Is Eating Corn Safe During Pregnancy?
Created by Faraz Mohammad Khan Updated on Apr 15, 2018
When you have found out that you are pregnant, there are a lot of thing you need to know. One of these things is what to eat? And as you are going to eat for two, you need to be all the more careful. Research tells that what you eat affects your baby's health during pregnancy as well as in their later life.
Corn is one healthy food that mostly everyone likes to eat but things change when you are pregnant.
Is eating corn safe during pregnancy? Should I eat corn while I am pregnant or not?
Expectant women have these questions in mind and the good news is - Yes, corn is excellent for both you and your baby.
Corn is one of the most widely eaten cereal grain in the world. Corn is composed of carbohydrates, proteins and fats, a varying amount of water, fiber and a dash of vitamins and minerals
Benefits of eating corn during pregnancy
- Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy. With its rich fiber content, corn can be a relief
- Corn contains pantothenic acid which ensures proper physiological functioning of your organs during pregnancy
- The proteins and vitamins in corn keep your body healthy and strong during pregnancy
For your baby
- Corn contains thiamine vitamin which helps boosting memory in you and your baby
- Corn contains zeaxanthin which works as a muscle protective. This will help your baby fight muscular degeneration in later years
- Corn is rich in folate which protects against birth defects and neural malfunctions
Tips for buying corn
To get the most benefits, keep the following things in mind while buying corn
- Always buy husks that are green in colour
- Always buy fresh corn. A quick test to check freshness is to pull off the husk and pierce the kernel with your fingernails. If it juices slightly, it is fresh!
- Roadside corn lose some sweetness as exposure to heat converts sugar to starch
Side effects of corn during pregnancy
- Too much of anything is not good. Don't go on eating corns all day
- If you have heart conditions, reduce corn intake as it contains fatty acids
- Corn might lead to indigestion, always stick to fresh corn
Which corn to avoid during pregnancy
Corn on a whole is absolutely safe. But certain corn products are to be avoided during pregnancy
- Popcorn has transfat which is extremely bad for newborns
- Corn syrup has huge amounts of added sweeteners which is, again, bad news for your baby
- If you are craving for corn starch too much, get yourself checked for Pica. It is condition that causes you to crave for non food items like corn starch, dirt, ice, etc.
Coming to the main point, it is absolutely safe to eat corn while you are pregnant. Just stick to steaming, boiling or grilling.