Getting Pregnant with PCOS ? - Know the Challenges and Success Rate
Created by Ambili S Kartha Updated on Nov 06, 2020
There are several conditions that make conception a difficult task. PCOS or Polycystic ovarian syndrome is the most common cause of female infertility. As indicated by a March 2008 "Fertility and Sterility" article, PCOS affects 5 to 10 percent of women of reproductive age. In spite of the fact that PCOS makes conceiving more challenging, this condition does not mean that the conceiving is impossible. Fortunately, women with PCOS have a range of fertility treatment options that help them to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. This article will help you to understand how the lifestyle changes and treatments boost the probability of a woman with PCOS to get pregnant and have a healthy baby.
Is It Possible To Have A Normal Delivery Post Getting Treated For PCOs?
Yes, it is quite possible to have a normal delivery post getting treated for PCOs. In fact your doctor will guide you through your pregnancy and may also advice to try for conception as soon as possible. However, you need to take proper care throughout your pregnancy and exercise is a must during pregnancy.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a very common, yet, a chronic hormone imbalance condition that affects 5% to 10% of women in the age group ranging from 12 to 45 years. This covers the entire childbearing age of a woman. PCOS can impact on a woman’s fertility, her menstruation, weight maintenance, appearance and even tamper with the insulin production. Read more on Ovarian Cyst Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis tips and treatment.
How PCOS Affect The Fertility Of A Woman?
Let's see how ovulation occurs in a normal woman The ovaries make female sex hormones - estrogen and progesterone and a tiny amount of male sex hormones – androgens and the pituitary gland produce luteinizing hormone. These hormones help to regulate the normal development of eggs in the ovaries during each menstrual cycle. Eggs usually develop inside the follicles, which are tiny fluid-filled sacs in the ovaries. Once the egg matures enough, the follicle will rupture and discharge the egg. This process is called ovulation.
Polycystic ovary syndrome is associated with the imbalance of these sex hormones. Instead of tiny amounts of male sex hormone, the ovaries of women with PCOS produce high levels of androgen (male sex hormone). Androgen stops the eggs in these follicles from maturing and breaking open and releasing (anovulation). This result in irregular or absent periods. These fluid-filled follicles then remain in the ovaries as cysts (hence the name poly cystic ovary). The cysts in ovaries make the conceiving further difficult.
What Causes PCOS?
The exact cause of PCOS is not known. However, the following factors have been linked to the condition.
- Genetics: Polycystic ovary syndrome is more prevalent among family members than among general population. This suggests that genes play a vital role in the development of PCOS
- Elevated insulin levels: The insulin level is noticeably elevated among (around 50 – 70%) the women who are experiencing PCOS. Therefore, probably insulin production can be linked with PCOS
- High level of androgen: Elevated insulin levels, in turn, appear to increase androgen (male hormone) production which hinders with the ovulation
- Obesity: The overweight women are at greater risk for PCOS
- Unhealthy lifestyle: Unhealthy lifestyle like fast food, sugary carbohydrates, sleep deprivation, and less physical activities contributes PCOS
What Are The Symptoms Of PCOS?
Some of the significant signs of PCOS include:
- Irregular period: Irregular period is a significant symptom of PCOS. PCOS can cause missed periods, periods in excessive intervals, or even more frequent periods like periods more often come in less than 21 days
- Weight gain: As the body of the women with PCOS develops insulin intolerance, more sugar is stored as fat. This results in weight gain and the weight loss of a PCOS woman will not be as easy as with a normal woman
- Acne: Unlike common acne that appears in teen and during the monthly period, PCOS-related acne tends to flare in parts that are usually considered hormone sensitive area like lower third of the face. This includes the chin, cheeks, jawline, and upper neck. Acne can also appear in the chest and upper back
- Excessive hair growth: Excessive facial and chest hair growth can be connected to PCOS. Hair growth is noticed in stomach and back too. This shows the increases level of male hormone
- Hair thinning: Thinning of hair in the scalp because of excessive hair fall can be connected with PCOS
- Skin pigmentation: Skin becoming darker, especially in the groin area, in the folds of the neck and the upper arms indicating high insulin level can also be a sign of PCOS.
Read: Know Ovarian Cyst Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis tips and treatment
What Are The Challenges To Getting Pregnant With PCOS?
As already mentioned, getting pregnant with PCOS is possible, but it is challenging too. Some of the significant issues that stands between getting pregnant are:
- Women with PCOS experience irregular ovulation and menstruation. Therefore, it is not possible to foresee when they are ovulating or even if they are ovulating at all. This is the main challenge to conceive
- Because of the irregular hormonal cycles, the endometrium of the uterus will be affected. The endometrium will not be thick enough for implantation even if the woman ovulates
- These fluid-filled follicles then remain in the ovaries as cysts and hinder with the pregnancy
How To Get Pregnant With PCOS?
Having PCOS does not mean you can never be conceived and have a baby of your own. Even though PCOS is one of the most common causes of infertility, it is treatable as well. By following a healthy lifestyle, and undergoing appropriate treatment (there are both natural and medical treatments or combo, which is opted depending on different factors like age of the woman, the severity of the condition, etc.) the ovulation can be boosted, thereby, increasing the probability of the conception.Here are some steps that will help to get pregnant with PCOS.
- Regulate ovulation before trying to get pregnant: Medicines you are taking to deal with your PCOS can be unsafe while using in the course of pregnancy. Therefore, take steps to regulate the hormone levels way before you try to get pregnant.
- Chart your period: Irregular period is the main symptom of PCOS. Irregular period means irregular ovulation. With the help of an over-the-counter ovulation test or basal body temperature thermometer find the days you ovulate. If you think you are not ovulating, consult a reproductive endocrinologist without delay.
Medication: If the endocrinologist finds out that your assumption ( that you are not ovulating )is correct, he will take further steps to achieve the following goals.
- Lowering blood sugar level: It is important to bring down the high insulin level of PCOS patients. High insulin levels produce high androgen levels, which bring about the irregular period. Drugs like Metformin is used to reduce high insulin levels, thereby helps to regulate the ovulation cycle
- Restore fertility: A drug called Clomid is used along with (or without) Metformin to restore the fertility. Clomid is an infertility drug that encourages the production of hormones that stimulate ovulation.The combination of Clomid with Metformin is found to accomplish pregnancy faster than by simply using metformin alone. Letrozole, a drug that increases the production of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is also used to increase the rate of ovulation
- Stimulate egg production: Women with PCOS who don't react to Clomid treatment can take advantage of the Gonadotropins treatment. Gonadotropins are naturally occurring hormones that activate the ovaries to discharge one or more eggs
- Lose weight: Losing weight with PCOS is a challenge. However, losing weight improves the chances of a successful pregnancy for a PCOS patient. A recent study found that losing around 10 percent of body weight alone can highly influence the possibility of getting pregnant. Losing weight helps the woman to respond better to fertility treatments. Regular exercise is often recommended for women with PCOS who are trying to conceive
- Healthy diet: PCOS increase the risk for insulin resistance. A diet that is high in protein and fiber can help to bring down your insulin levels. Depend more on Foods with a low Glycemic Load, which release their glucose more slowly
- Be watchful throughout pregnancy: If you managed to get pregnant after fighting against all the challenges posed by PCOS, you should be vigilant throughout your pregnancy. Women with PCOS have a higher risk of pregnancy complications like miscarriage, pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, premature delivery, etc. Never miss the routine check-ups and scheduled appointments with the doctor
- Pursue a healthy lifestyle: Follow a healthy lifestyle. Make exercise part of the daily routine. Avoid alcohol, smoking, carbonated drinks and fast foods. Restrict the caffeine intake
- Medical support: Seek maximum medical support. Try to consult a gynecologist who is specialized in treating PCOD before, throughout and after the pregnancy
Did you like the blog on getting pregnant with PCOs? Did you or are you facing any challenges in getting pregnant with PCOs? Do share your views and feedback in the comments section below.
| Nov 20, 2018
I advice every other woman TRYING TO GET PREGNANT or fallopian tube issues, pcos and other infertility problem too do their research and don’t base your option only on anyone’s advise, I did and it resulted in waste of money and time. contact Dr Azuba on email: azubaspelltemple@gmail. com because I have discover Dr Azuba. long time ago and I would have been pregnant earlier if I follow my heart and buy the herbal herbs but I disregard it because of my doctor’s advice and I am annoyed at myself but at the same time I am happy that I made the wise decision by going back to Dr Azuba, for his pregnancy spell and herbal herbs. Now I am a strong believer of this pregnancy spell and herbal herbs natural medicine. Thank You. contact Dr Azuba, on email for help on azubaspelltemple@gmail. com or cell phone +2349080324322
| Mar 19, 2019
I want to share a great testimony on this website on how great Dr. oduma help me in falling pregnant,me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for over 6 years,but they where no luck so we decided to contact the family doctor and after all the test have been done,he said to us that one of my fallopian tube is not functioning. then one day i was in the office when a friend of mine who have the same problem with me, fall pregnant after she contacted Dr. oduma. she directed me to him andma when i contacted him through is email and he did the purification on the pregnancy spell and in 8weeks time i was feeling some how and i want to meet the family doctor who told me that i m pregnant. if you know that you have a similar problem like this and you want to be pregnant you can contact Dr. oduma via Email:odumaspelltemple0@gmail. com,or cell phone ++2349067801825
| Mar 28, 2019
Your fertility herbal supplement/Pregnancy spell has brought solution to my fears and worries at last. I am going to refer people to you and I heard your website will be ready soon and l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT after 8 years of marriage, will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka. wolf@gmail. com or Facebook at priest. babaka
| Jun 17, 2019
I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 15. i got pregnant at 17 and had my little girl at 18. i then struggled with pcos symptoms I had all of them and absence of periods was the main. i took metformin and was out on birth control to restart my cycle after five years of no periods. i always thought I would never have another child. well I lost alot of weight after a car accident I was in and I never really had sex and wasn't in a relationship so I never used contraceptives cause it never crossed my mind I would get pregnant. well here I am five months pregnant at the age of 31 with a baby boy.
| Jul 09, 2019
My problem with herpes has caused me many traumas,especially in my sex life. I was so afraid of infecting my boyfriend, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting dermatologists queries hundreds of times. Unfortunately,they did not find a definitive solution to my problem. The solution came from the least expected place. By reading in a specialized forum on the subject,How to cure Herpes simplex virus completely. Many people had tried, with excellent and quick results. I had nothing to lose so I decided to use this method to eliminate my herpes. spent six weeks using this method and my herpes completely disappeared. I recommend this method to all people who want to eliminate the herpes from their body forever,contact odumaspelltemple0@gmail. com HERPES HSV 1 & HSV 2 ASTHMA DIABETES EPILEPSY CANCER INFERTILITY STAPHYLOCOCCUS. BARENESS HIV /AIDS HEPATITIS B Kidney?
| Nov 14, 2019
I also got diagnosed with pcos at an age of 18 .I never thot that I would one day become pregnant .I used clomid for 3 months and became pregnant at 20 yrs .am now 7 months pregnant though faced with a breech presentation. am hoping that I will have a safe delivery
| Mar 26, 2020
Hello everyone, I am from Wembley, Britain. I want to write this testimony to tell others and thank Dr. Odunga for what he has done for me. The first 12 years of my marriage I have had 5 miscarriages and i was called all sort of names by my mother-in-law and this made my marriage life very hectic and a burden of sorrow. I contacted Dr. Odunga for help and i will say that he is a very strong and honest man and he indeed helped me solve my problem. I saw his email in a testimony and i contacted him, little did i know it would be the end of all my problems. After 2 days of contact, I received a fertility herb and he told me to use it. The herb worked and my husband even loved me more and bought me expensive things. One afternoon, I went to a nearby hospital and came back home with the positive result of my pregnancy and after 9 months i gave birth to a baby boy. Ever since i contacted Dr. Odunga, my story has been different. I have 3 children at present and I am very happy in my marriage. Please, contact him at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com OR Whats App him +2348167159012 to help you too