Ovarian Cyst Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis Tips and Treatment
Created by Dr. Surbhi Saini Updated on Jan 08, 2019
Do you aware about "What Is Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)". Polycystic ovarian, also know as ovarian cyst, disease/syndrome is a hormonal disorder that leads to formation of multiple small cysts (small sacs filled with water).It is generally associated with infertility, obesity and certain masculine changes in the body. Read to know challenges and success rate getting pregnant with PCOS
What Causes Ovarian Cyst?
Here is the detail of 5 causes of Polycystic Ovarian deseas in women..
#1 Raised levels of testosterone:
Although all women make small amounts of testosterone; the male hormone but increased levels of this hormone can prevent the ovaries from releasing ova/egg regularly during the menstruation cycle.
#2 Raised levels of prolactin and luteinising hormone:
Increased levels of both these also hinder regular ova production.
#3 High insulin levels:
Increased levels of insulin lead to excessive androgen secretion that interfere with ovaries ability to ovulate.
Overweight women are at higher risk since weight gain leads to insulin resistance leading to produce more oestrogen by fatty tissues causing ovulation disruption.
If it runs in family or one’s mother/sister is having there are more likely chances that you could have it as well.
Symptoms Of Ovarian Cyst (PCOD)
The most common symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian are as given below -
- Irregular menstrual cycle/delay in starting of mensus in a girl with family history of the same
- Hirsutism(excessive hair on body specially face like beard,moustache)
- Infertility/difficulty in conceiving
Diagnosis Of Ovarian Cyst (PCOD)
- Typical history- irregular menstrual cycle, scanty blood flow, need to take medication to induce period
- Obesity, hirsutism
- On vaginal ultrasound ,the ovaries appear enlarge and there are multiple small cysts
- Hormonal irregularities found on blood test are- high LH, normal FSH, reversal of LH:FSH ratio, high DHEA-S
Things That Matter in Polycystic Ovarian
What Should Be Your Diet:
- eat loads of fruits and green vegetables on daily basis
- chicken and fish can be taken
- drink at least 2-3litres of water/day
- include buttermilk, coconut water, vegetable soup, smoothies
- include whole wheat products like wheat pasta, poha
- rice if taken should be brown rice
- millets like bajra, ragi, oats
- walnuts and almonds
- include pulses
- avoid dairy products
- avoid red meat
- aerated drinks, sugary food, saturated fats, hydrogenated fats should be completely prohibited
- avoid maida
Polycystic Ovarian Treatment
If fertility is not an immediate concern most symptoms are cured by hormonal therapies that mainly include OCP’s that help in reducing hirsutism, and acne, maintain regular menstrual cycle, prevent endometrial cancer. Pcod is curable and women with pcod can lead a normal life and even conceive provided they follow healthy diet, exercise regularly and not take this lightly.
A timely awareness and taking care of it medically is all it takes!
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Please share your thoughts, ideas and feedback with us in the comments section below as we would love to hear from you.