Heating Pads During Pregnancy: Is it Safe?
Created by Aparna Jha Updated on Jan 10, 2020
“To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and distressingly inhabited. Soul and spirit are stretched – along with body – making pregnancy a time of transition, growth, and profound beginnings.' - Anne Christian Buchanan
If you are expecting a baby, I am sure you are feeling joyful and delighted all at once. Now, you not only have to take care of yourself but also you have the responsibility of another life. Thus, it is imperative to keep your health into consideration, as well as avoid measures that can be hazardous to your health.
Benefits Of Using Heating Pads During Pregnancy:
- Heating pads have the potential to provide relief to body ache, this is precisely the reason why it finds immense utility. During pregnancy, you might experience joint, hips and back ache. These pain can be healed through using heating pads
- Heating pads have the ability to increase the flow of oxygen by opening the blood vessels. This acts beneficial in soothing pain during pregnancy
- Increase in weight and upsurge in hormone levels during pregnancy are contributors to pelvic pain and muscles cramps. Heat therapy can resolve your discomfort and put an end to your sufferings
Side Effects Of Heating Pads During Pregnancy:
Birth defects and miscarriage are likely to occur due to increase in body temperature. Thus, pregnant women are advised to avoid exposure of hot tubs and saunas for longer duration; as it could lead to unfavourable circumstances. However, there aren’t any side effect of heating pads if they are used carefully and wisely.
Is It Safe To Use Heating Pads During Pregnancy?
Heating pads are absolutely safe to use during pregnancy. It is considered to be a good alternative to provide comfort and relaxation to the reoccurring pain. But, one must be extremely cautious while using it, do not sleep while having it on your body; it could be unsafe and will lead to chances of high risk. It is always advisable to take necessary precautions before the situation gets worse.
Tips For Using Heating Pads Safely During Pregnancy:
- Always keep in mind that the heating pad should not remain in the same area of the body for longer duration. This could result in skin burns, thus the maximum exposure should be less than 20 minutes
- The heat setting of heating pads should be used at the lowest. Highest head mode will increase the possibility of getting overheated
- Avoid applying it directly in contact with your skin, instead wrapping it around a thin towel or over your clothes can be a safer option
- The foremost thing to be kept under consideration is that never place heating pads on your tummy. Do not try to treat abdominal and stomach pain through heating pads, always consult your doctor in case of these pain
- Using more than one heating pads should be strictly avoided, and it should be applied only to a specific area. Always be cautious to not fall asleep while using it
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Do share your thoughts with us in the comments section below; we'd love to hear from you.
| Aug 09, 2019
Is it safe to eat bitter gourd. I am 9 week pregnant
| Jun 07, 2018
| May 21, 2018
Hi Soujanya Raj I am glad that you found the blog helpful!
| May 21, 2018
good information so useful