Is Your Child Afraid Of Maths? Here's How You Can Make It Fun
Created by Swapna Nair Updated on Apr 15, 2020
I hate Maths. I just cannot add numbers. Ugh, I wish I didn’t have Math in the curriculum.
These are the most common refrains from school going children down the ages. Teachers play a very crucial role, especially in the age group of 7-11 years. If the teacher teaches the subject well there is a maximum chance of children loving the subject. Sometimes in spite of a great teacher your child may be struggling and does not know to communicate this to you. The report card comes home and you are shaken out of your reverie.
You thought your child was doing quite well but the marks or grades have proved wrong.It all boils down to understanding- understanding the numbers, symbols, and the idea of computing.
Early Signs That Your Child Is Struggling With Maths
Here are some early signs that you need to watch out for to know whether your child is struggling with Maths or not. Look out for signs as early as possible. From the first day of school be alert:
- Is your child postponing the Maths homework?
- Is he doing sums out of rote memory?
- Difficulty in computing (any addition or subtraction).
- Difficulty in sequencing.
- Difficulty in identifying symbols or number.
- Difficulty in carrying over the concepts to practical applications.
- Difficulty in visualizing 2d and 3d shapes.
- Unable to recall mathematical equations, formula and steps.
- Difficulty in solving midway.
- Difficulty in processing a problem.
- Difficulty in being precise.
- A child who has linguistic problems will have problems with Maths vocabulary.
- Unable to do mental Maths.
How To Make Maths Fun For Your Child?
Maths does not need to be synonymous with terror. Here are some ways you can make Maths fun for your child:
- Bring Maths in daily life: Make use of the surroundings to prove that Maths is part of our lives. Use the kitchen as a lab to teach measurements and computing.
- Avoid negative vocabulary regarding Maths: I was never good at Maths so my child is also the same or Maths is boring or I hate Maths or why can’t you understand? Such language will reinforce the child’s thinking that she cannot grasp Maths.
- Take your child’s Maths Teacher into confidence: Share your concerns with the teacher and try to take him or her into confidence to make the basic fundamentals clear to your child.
- Mathematical games are fun, too: Play games like checkers and Sudoku. Your child will soon begin to imitate you. Plan a Sudoku night or weekend. You could even have a Sudoku contest for your child and classmates. Games are a wonderful way to inculcate interest.
- Colorful posters increase the interest: Put up posters of important formula, equations and multiplication tables. In fact, you and your child can create these with materials at home.
- Shopping and bill paying activity: Maths is more fun when the real money is involved or even in the video games where they have to buy things from virtual money can enhance their mathematical skills. Involve them in shopping and paying the bills.
- Use Sports: If your child is a cricket or football fan then ask them to look into the statistics or record them. You can teach Mathematical concepts through these sports.
So Maths is an inseparable part of our lives. If you as a parent show a positive interest in Maths and take care to strengthen the concepts of your child, he or she will be able to breeze through the subject easily.
| Apr 07, 2018
Hi everyone, its really very helpful article regarding math . As I like to share my experience with my child love with Cuemath math learning easy and understanding the concepts helps her to think wise and apply the methods to make it quick and correct. As a teacher it helps me to find the child hidden skills along with their unique teaching methodologies. Visit cuemath. com and Use my referral code 74ZC to avail discount and make your old fall in love with math. Log on to : http://www.cuemath.com/teacher/signup/?utm_source=referral&ref_code=74ZC
| Aug 10, 2019
Best physics class in Patna. find the physics classes for IIT, Medical, NEET, 11th, 12th, science, ISC in patna. A lot of students have passed from here. So,don't wait and take admission as soon as possible for Best Physics Class for IIT,medical and NEET in Patna. http://vivekanandphysicscenter.com/ http://www.dcgpl.com/ http://vivekanandjeeinstitute.com/
| Dec 06, 2019
Physics, chemistry, biology topic wise free online test series for NEET 2020, mock test for NEET sample previous year practice questions paper with solutions free pdf download for students. Apart from this, Zigya provides the online test practice question paper of IIT JEE main previous year sample with solution pdf download free, exam questions, solved papers, mathematics mock test papers 2020 test series for JEE. https://www.zigya.com/competition/NEET https://www.zigya.com/competition/JEE