Top 5 Biographies Your Child Should Read
Created by Swapna Nair Updated on May 04, 2018
Biographies are available for children in plenty nowadays. Being stories of real people they offer valuable lessons. Who is not inspired by little George Washington and the apple tree? Stories of real heroes and heroines are ideal conversation material. They can be used to impart life values and for character building. Children are fascinated when they know that these great people have suffered pain and overcome challenges. Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein Ben Franklin have inspired many a child and parent.
Those who love adventure and valour we have our own Amar Chitra Katha volumes to fall back on. These are excellent sources to kick start the reading habit. Children love colourful pictures and fewer words. Hence reading biographies in form of comics is a great start.
The story of freedom fighters, Kargil martyrs, space queen Kalpana Chawla are featured in the Amar Chitra series. Biographies are stories of real time wisdom. Each biography is unique. Each has a wealth of information to share. For children from 3-6 years, parents can make it a ritual to read out during bed time.
Pick your choice from adventurers, musicians, scientists, writes, artists, explorers, politicians, sportspersons and business magnates. It is a huge world of books out there.
- Pick a book suitable to the age of your child.
- Build your rapport with your child through daily conversations. Use the biographies to tell a little story relevant to the situation
- For example Gandhi’s childhood incidents are such beautiful lessons in honesty and loyalty
- Keep these books within easy reach of children
- Role model the habit you wish upon your child. Show them how much you love reading
- Mix biographies along with other works of fiction
- The adventures of Mark Twain will leave any child musing
- Malgudi Days by R.K Narayan is page turner
- So are Ruskin bond’s and Rudyard Kipling’s stories that are biographical
Some Of The Other Biographies That Are Must Reads:
- Reaching for the Moon- ( Buzz Aldrin)
- Odd boy out – ( Edison)
- The friar who grew peas – (George Mendel)
- The boys of steel ( creators of Superman)
- Wilma unlimited –(Wilma Rudolph)
- Neo Leo (Da Vinci)
- Enrol in a local library
- Use the Kindle for now this is the trend. Use any method to get them to read. Recently I spotted a rare sight. A little girl was begging her father to buy her a book at a store. The father was hesitating. I felt sad. Books are one’s best friends apart from pets. We spend so much money on restaurants, cinema and other mindless entertainment
- Organise a biography evening. Invite your child’s friends. Give them a cosy corner to read in silence. They could take turns to read aloud too
- The 7 year olds can have a small discussion on their favourite biography
Gift your child a biography and change his/her life!
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Dos hare your thoughts with us in the comments section below; we’d love to hear from you.
| May 18, 2018
really osm article got to know new things
| May 08, 2018
Very nice blog for every one and thanks for it.
| May 06, 2018
superb article on expanding the world of reading to my 8year old. I loved creative ideas such having a biography evening and the following discussion. thank you so much .
| May 05, 2018