How To Make Meal Plan Interesting For Your Child?
Created by Sudha Raj Updated on Feb 27, 2019
Early childhood, which includes the preschool stage (2–5 years), is the phase of physical, emotional, and mental development and forms the foundation for the child’s future well- being. Adequate and wholesome nutrition plays a vital role during this stage. The kind of food or beverage a preschooler consumes affects his/her health. Children in the age range of 2-5 years have a daily energy requirement of approximately 1000 to 1400 calories per day.
Hence the diet should comprise of all the below-mentioned food groups in the right amounts.
What Should Be in Kids Meal to Make it Balanced Diet?
To help support the child’s growth & development during this phase of life a preschooler needs to consume nutrient-dense meals. You must be aware of what should in a child's meal plan and tips to make the meal interesting for your child.
#1. Cereals, Millets, and Pulses
- These are needed as they are an important source of energy and nutrients.
- Try and include whole grain products as part of their diet like multigrain cereals, whole wheat rotis, etc.
#2. Milk, Egg, and Fish
- Milk and milk products are an important source of calcium and protein. While the egg & meat, products are a good source of protein & micronutrients too.
- The diet can comprise of some crud based smoothies, fruit yogurts, egg rolls or sandwiches, lean meats like chicken and fish can be there as well as part of the diet. Helpful Read: 7 Ways to Feed Your 1-3 Year Old Child
#3. Vegetables and Fruits:
- Give your child fresh, seasonal and locally available fruits and vegetables. [Explore: Ways to Get Your Child to Eat Vegetables]
- Leafy green vegetables need to feature too as part of the diet may be in the form of spinach paratha, soups, add your veggies to the cereal preparations, like vegetable upma, pulao, khichdi etc.
- Carrots, cucumber, beetroot can form excellent finger food as salad sticks can be served to the child with exciting dips.
#4. Oils and Fats:
- Include vegetable oils, butter, and ghee in small amounts in your child’s diet.
- Nuts like walnuts, almonds need to be added to the diet. These can be in the form of a crushed nut with milk or added to fruit custard to provide some crunchy texture.
You must watch this video from our experts:
Also remember the key to get all the food groups as part of your child’s diet is to include 3 main meals & 2 small meals as part of their diet. Use a variety of cooking methods like boiling, roasting, baking and steaming in order to introduce a variety of foods to your child.
Disclaimer - This Blog is supported by Nestle Ceregrow. A child needs more nutrition than an adult. Each bowl of Ceregrow contains the goodness of grains, milk & fruits and makes up for the lack of sufficient nutrition. Follow Early Childhood Nutrition to learn more.
Calculated basis per kg body weight; ICMR 2010
| Feb 27, 2020
| Feb 26, 2020
| Sep 08, 2018
Plz give diet chart
| Aug 30, 2018
mere ladke kuch khate nai kya karu
| Aug 14, 2018
Which is the best health supplement for kids??I am giving pediasure...
| Aug 14, 2018
How to deal with kids fussy eating?
| Aug 12, 2018
good information thank you
| Aug 08, 2018
| Jul 29, 2018
Important information ..
Top Food and Nutrition Blogs
Top Food and Nutrition Talks
Top Food and Nutrition question