Early Protection At 9 Months Against Meningococcal Meningitis With Vaccination
Oct 31, 2022, 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Meningitis is a serious infection that affects the protective layer around the brain and spinal cord. Meningococcal meningitis is caused by the Neisseria meningitidis bacteria. It can be transmitted from person-to-person through respiratory droplets. Patients are known to have rapidly progressed to death, often within 24 to 48 hours after the onset of symptoms. 1 in 5 may experience lifelong complications such as hearing loss, brain damage, mental disabilities, or loss of limbs. Meningococcal disease is observed in children under five years of age, immunocompromised individuals, adolescents, and young adults. There have been major improvements in prevention of the disease. One such measure is preventive vaccination and can save lives and reduce complications. In addition, good hygiene & social distancing of kids from infected individuals is also essential for prevention.
In this Live Parentune Workshop Nidhi Maheshwari will be hosting Dr. Jaydeep Choudhury who is the professor at the Department Of Pediatrics Institute Of Child Health in Kolkata.
In this live workshop with the expert you will learn about the following things-
- Despite significant progress over the last few decades, meningitis remains a mysterious disease worldwide with a high death rate. What is the reason for an alarming death rate?
- Are there different vaccines for the different causes of meningitis?
- How serious is this disease? And children in which age group are affected by this disease?
- What are the symptoms of meningococcal meningitis? And what are the ways to keep them safe and secure from this disease?
- Meningitis caused by bacteria is dangerous for children. How can the Meningococcal Meningitis vaccination offer them protection?
- What is the best age at which the children should be considered for vaccination against meningococcal meningitis?
- Why does this disease not get easily detected?
- Why are children at a high risk of meningococcal meningitis infection?
- How will the vaccination help reduce the threat and keep them safe?
- In order to fight this dreadful disease, how many doses of this vaccination are needed?
- Is meningitis a seasonal disease? In addition, can a child suffer from meningitis more than once in their lifetime?
- How can the effectiveness of the Meningococcal Meningitis vaccination be measured against brain fever?
- If small babies under 9 months cannot be vaccinated, how can they be protected?
- What are the different forms of meningococcal meningitis?
- Should parents of small children also get their elder children vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis, as an added safeguard?
- What if the parents miss the meningococcal meningitis vaccination at 9 months of age? Would it be possible to get a vaccination later? Can a 2-year-old be vaccinated?
Reference: 1. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/meningitis-and-encephalitis-fact-sheet
Issued in public interest by Sanofi
Dr. Jaydeep Choudhury, Pediatrics
Dr. Jaydeep Choudhury is the professor at the Department Of Pediatrics Institute Of Child Health in Kolkata.
| Oct 28, 2022
Hello Doctor! How many doses are required for this vaccine for a child below 5 years of age? Does the vaccine come with a same name, as if I get one dose administered from one doctor and the other from some other doctor, will it have a difference in its potency and effect on the baby?
| Oct 28, 2022
Hello Sir! I am going to shift to Canada in next 10 days. My baby is 7. 5 months old as of now. Can I get this vaccine administered now itself as it won't be possible for me after that. Also if it's not possible here, will the same vaccine be available there as chances of the same disease being prevalent there are very low. please guide me .
Please complete the form to send your question to Dr. Jaydeep Choudhury