Home Remedies or Tips to Cure Constipation in Children
Created by Shikha Garg Updated on Nov 27, 2019
You know your child is constipated when they have difficulty in passing stool; their stools are hard and may or may not have blood stains. Constipation leads to numerous health problems and some of the common ones your child might face is gas troubles and colic. So how do you, as a parent, ensure that your child is not constipated and has a healthy growth?
Here, I am sharing a few home remedies that have been tried and tested by me and have also been passed through elders to relieve your child of constipation.
Home Remedies to Avoid Constipation in Your Child
Here are few tried and tested constipation home remedies to relieve your child of constipation. Read on
- Jaggery: Jaggery is an age-old remedy to avoid constipation. It is believed that jaggery (gud) as we all know it, activates the digestive system and thus Jaggery activates the digestive enzymes in the body, promotes bowel movements and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation.
- Sweetened Water: Water is a good way to relieve constipation. You may give 1/2 cup RO Water + 1tsp sugar solution.
- Avoid fried food: If your child is constipated then avoid giving your child fried foods or even spicy food.
- Say no to biscuits: Biscuits and namkeen with their high maida content also aid in constipation so avoid them at any cost.
- Increase liquid intake: Water is good during constipation and so is any other liquid like soups and juices. So say yes to veggies with high water content like carrots, tomatoes among others.
- Soaked raisins: You may also give overnight soaked raisins to relieve constipation in your child. However, ensure that you give it in moderate quantity.
- Honey to ease constipation: Honey has laxative properties and you may give 1 tsp honey twice a day during constipation.
- Seasonal fruits: Seasonal fruits also help in relieving constipation. So try and give fruits like apple, grapes, oranges and pear. You may also give boiled Rajma, boiled Black Gram Dal, boiled lobhia, Paneer chopped into small cubes, boiled potato, Suji kheer, milk daliya, rice kheer etc. Avoid giving guava in constipation, as it is difficult to digest and may create problems for your child.
Constipation leads to crankiness in your child. So ensure that the child drinks ample amount of water. These are some of the home remedies I found work well with children with constipation. In case you have more tips to add to my list, please do share in the comments box.
| Dec 27, 2016
Thanks a lot Shikha for the information. Just a quick question - you mentioned Guava is difficult to digest hence should be avoided. But I heard completely opposite of what you suggested. My parents/grandparents have always forced us to eat as much as Guava as possible especially when we are constipated. There theory may be completely wrong. Any thoughts?
| Feb 25, 2017
my 22 months baby constipated from the age of 1 year to her till now she is suffering with constipation. I have tried all home remedies but no use finally I consulted my paediatriain he suggested me muout power for 3 months course . during the course she was very happy and her stool were very normal. I stopped the medicine after 3 months, after completion of course she was ok for only 30days again started same problem. what can i do now. please tell me
| Feb 25, 2017
Hi Divya, if she is still facing the same problem. Could you Plz tell me her diet chart? Another thing don't give milk more than 4 times. Give her "Himalayas Bonisan drops ". It is really good. This is my personal experience with Bonisan drops. Really satisfactory. And safe you can try for long. Side by side take care of water content.
| Feb 25, 2017
thank you shika, by baby diet is idly or chapathi for breakfast. rice with too dal or moong dal and curd rice and she prefers some vegetable s like cauliflower, carrot, potato this is for lunch . for snacks oats porridge or cornflakes or wheat rawa upma or homemade cerelac .for dinner soft rice with dal. she drinks 400ml milk per day and she eat fruits in between but not everyday because she is suffering from cold caught regularly so I can't give fruits daily. she drinks 700 to 900mp water per day.
| Feb 25, 2017
@ Divya , Whatever you are giving to the little one is perfect. Another thing is you can give fruits to your child in the presence of sunshine during cold. And you can also give sweet lemon water any time in cold, that gives immunity to the child against cold . do you know dal chini stick? Cardamom and Sauf. till the time she has cold you can use dal chini stick . while boiling Milk put very small piece of it and peeple stick for 4-5 days only. do it. I do it for my daughter during bad bad cold and it really works. Use cardamom and sauf in dishes accordingly. Both are good in constipation.
| Aug 19, 2017
give two bananas daily.... if ur child eats only one banana then give two half bananas... in cold weather give elaichi bananas... proven solution of regular constipation... but yes chronic problem may need medicines... also give green Dal.. soak and grind and make into cheela... or any other way.. give all veggie soup... pressure cooker beetroot carrot tomato potato cucumber/bottle gourd beans spinach coriander etc and grind... add butter salt Nd black salt... lemon juice and give.. do not. strain .