Continuous & Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE)
Created by Parentune Support Updated on Dec 22, 2019
The aim is to reduce the workload on students and to improve the overall skill and ability of the students by means of evaluation of other activities. Grades are awarded to students based on work experience skills, innovation, steadiness, teamwork, public speaking, behavior, etc. to evaluate and present an overall measure of the student's ability.
It has got 2 aspects to it:
1. Scholastic – It’s related to learner’s knowledge, understanding, application, evaluation and analysis. To improve the teaching learning process assessment should be both Formative and Summative.
The nine point grading scale for measuring Scholastic achievements is given below:-
2. Co-Scholastic – It’s related to learner’s life skills, attitudes, interests, values, co-curricular activities and physical health. A child is graded on various descriptive indicators such as:-
- Thinking skills - Self Awareness, Problem solving, Decision making, Critical thinking and creative thinking
- Social skills - Interpersonal relationships, effective communication and Empathy.
- Emotional skills - Managing emotions and Dealing with stress.
- Work education - Cookery skills, preparation of stationary items, Tieing and dyeing and screen painting, Recycling of paper, Hand embroidery, running a book bank, Repair and management of domestic electrical gadgets, Computer operation and management, Photography etc.
- Visual and Performing arts - Music (Vocal,instrumental), dance, drama, drawing, painting, craft, sculpture, puppetry, Folk arts forms etc.
- Literary & Creative Skills - Debate, Declamation, Creative Writing, Recitation, Drawing, Poster-Making, Slogan Writing, Theatre etc.
- Scientific Skills - Science Club, Projects, Maths Club, Science Quiz, Science Exhibition,Olympiads etc.
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT): PowerPoint Presentation,Website and Cover Page Designing, Animation, Programming, E-books etc.
- Organisational & Leadership Skills (Clubs) - Eco Club, Health & Wellness Club, Heritage Club, Disaster Management Club, AEP and other Clubs etc.
Challenges associated with CCE implementation-
1. Teachers unable to implement it in its true spirit.
2. Unavailability of evaluation tools and their appropriate usage is an important aspect with respect to scholastic.
3. For co-scholastic no rating scales, procedures available to evaluate different skill areas.
4. In respect to parents, incomplete knowledge of CCE to them and hence unclear expectations from them.
Learnmile’s view on CCE-
CCE is an improved and a better way of evaluation to assess the all round development of a child irrespective of the individual differences.
1. Knowledge- For complete knowledge of CCE framework please read the document and also the CCE manual.
2. Collaboration- There should be a strong and regular teacher and parent collaboration. A platform is required for both teachers and parents where they are able to give their feedback.
3. Support execution- CCE implementation requires adequate infrastructure as well as support of all the various stakeholders in the environment. For example- To do a project on various types of leaves as part of the holiday homework, a parent took his/her child in bio-diversity Park, where different trees with their respective names lab led on them were present and hence completed the project with the actual implementation and learning of the child.
4. Follow the evolution- Parents and teachers should learn as the framework grows and also get their fundamentals updated with time.
5. A research study should be done on the implementation of CCE.
| Nov 19, 2015
A very apt and relevant topic with adequate information. Though CCE is a better tool for evaluation but in higher classes it's implementation becomes tedious and futile. Even the final evaluation still depends on the academic results with the Co scholastic areas being just graded but not considered at all in the final results. Even the grading is very widely gapped and unfair to the good performers as a result of which even a student of excellent caliber may get sluggish. Another dilemma is as the grades are handed for the half yearlies n finals,the kids don't get to know their individual scores in various subjects which gives them no idea of how they are being marked. Hence in totality lot is unclear and vague in implementation. A system has to be thoroughly reviewed and educated to the parents ,children and the educators before being implemented as rightly pointed here.