Tips to Nurture Critical Thinking Skills in Your Child
Created by Aparna Jha Updated on Jun 02, 2020
”Small minds are concerned with the extraordinary, great minds with the ordinary.” -Blaise Pascal
Every parent aspires to have a bright future for their child. The sacrifices and compromises they make to assure them a successful life is inevitable. Efficient parenting from the beginning is the step to this. Critical thinking skills for kids can be used as a major tool for bridging the gap of these dreams and to stand your kid out from the crowd. Critical thinking is the ability to think rationally and an approach to improve the quality of thinking by analysing the subject or problem. Critical thinking for kids is the need of the hour as it not only allows them to gain deep insight into the subject but also to analyse and investigate things precisely.
How To Explain Critical Thinking To Your child:
It is crucial to develop critical thinking skills, but before that you should make your child comfortable and motivate them to ask more questions to clarify doubts and confusions. Encourage them to actively participate in discussions. More flexibility of mind can be approached when the toddler doesn’t restrict themselves to a single solution and is tenacious to explore other alternatives. Teaching critical thinking skill can result into wonderment. Inspire them that their arguments should always have a reason behind it. Apart from this, writing can sharpen their mind.
Ways To Enhance Your Child's Critical Thinking Skills:
- Solving puzzles improves the power of analysing situation and breaks down the creative block of mind. When the mind is exposed to challenges, the minor is encouraged to grasp more and discover quality learning
- Critical thinking activities open opportunities for gaining solutions in multiple ways. Asking open ended questions such as “why do you think so?”, “can you predict the outcome?” or “how would you solve this problem?” makes the youngster to scrutinize the situation with a fruitful outcome
- Insist your child to research before he puts forward an argument, the facts should be clear, accurate, logical and relevant
- A coin has two sides, so does opinions. Activate your kid to acknowledge the difference of opinion and be conscious of the other side of the argument. This won’t limit their ability to think
- Patience is the key. Don’t force feed your little one. Give them time to think, learn, develop and evolve with their mistakes. No one is a born perfectionist
- Don’t be always available to solve their problem, they might get habituated to it. What you can do instead is that aid them in strategizing to solve their problems. You can always suggest and guide them whenever necessary
- Spend quality time with your kid and read articles or newspapers together. Through this you can address to their curiosity of questions. Moreover, you can also figure out what your child is unable to decipher and you can work on their weakness
Parents are always concerned about how to improve thinking skill of a child. A better understanding can prosper if you impel to boost the interpretation skills of the juvenile. This alters their tendency to perceive things.
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Please share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comments section below; we’d love to hear from you.