Cough & Cold Home Remedies for 1-3 Years Child
Created by Pooja Kaushik Updated on Jan 16, 2019
“Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, it is what GOD gave you time for.” – Rachel Jankovic.
Hey Mommies! I guess every one of us would relate to the above saying. Every woman’s first priority is her child whether she is a stay-at-home mum or a working one. At times, we are all stuck with some common health problems of the child, for eg- diarrhoea, vomiting, constipation, cold, and cough. Though these are not major issues (diseases) but seeing our child suffer is truly not acceptable. Right!
So, today I would like to discuss one of the above-mentioned problems i.e. a cough & cold. This is widespread concern amongst children of all ages. In fact, I would like to add that a child’s growth graph turns constant once he is hit by this problem.
Cough & Cold Remedies for Your Toddlers
So, curing this should be a major concern for all the hard-working mommas out there and I am going to help you with this. We’ll first look at the symptoms and then the Dadi-Maa Ke Nuskhe for the cure and prevention. Let’s get started.
Cough & Cold Symptoms:
- Running Nose,
- Vomiting Tendency,
- Eventually loss of appetite,
- Heavy voice,
- Chest congestion (cough accumulation),
- Feeling drowsy all the time,
Prevention & Cure Cough & Cold:
1. Apple Juice:
- Cut an apple without peeling and put it in the pressure cooker with half glass of water.
- Boil it for 2 minutes r till the apple turns soft.
- Strain it properly while mashing the apple with a spoon.
- Add 1 spoon (as per requirement) honey once the juice is lukewarm.
- Feed your child.
- This juice boosts the immunity of the child and protects him from allergies.
- It is best to give him the juice as the first food of the day, even before milk, for infants above 6 months and toddlers. (I give it to my son at 5 a.m. every day).
2. Nutmeg (Jaiphal): A well-known spice, used to elevate the aroma & taste of Indian foods, can also be used as a cure because of its medicinal properties.
The process of Apply - Rub the nutmeg in a sandalwood stone grinder with some milk. Make a smooth paste & give it to your child followed by milk. It can be given twice a day with time duration of a minute of 8 hrs. It can be given to new-born babies but in small quantities. Dosage- ½ of a spoon for 2-year-old!
3. Saffron (Kesar): An expensive spice, known for the in-built beauty enhancer characteristics, also has medicinal properties.
The process to Apply:
- Soak 1 piece of saffron in 2 teaspoons of milk for a minimum of 2 hrs.
- Rub it in the same milk after 2 hrs.
- Add it to your child’s milk and make him drink it. You will see the effect in 1 week if continued daily.
4. Turmeric Milk : Another powerful spice with anti-bacterial properties can also be used as a remedy to push away cold.
The process to Apply - Boil the child’s milk with turmeric in it for a minute or two! Cool it till it turns lukewarm. Give it to the child. This is an extremely beneficial drink and builds immunity to the child.
5. Basil(Tulsi) Leaves : The only herb which is trusted and used for a cure against various diseases and disorders in Ayurveda. Tulsi is an awesome cough repellent and can be used in different ways.
The process to Apply- Grind 3-4 basil leaves. Boil them for 2 minutes. Add some honey and feed your child the lukewarm drink. You can add fresh ginger, cardamom, turmeric, betel leaves, and black pepper. This works as an instant relief for your child.
6. Dr.’s Brandy: This is the best option every mum should follow in order to prevent a regular bout of a cough & cold hitting. No, I am not talking about the old belief of drinking it. Instead, I have tried it in a different way.
The process to Apply- Apply Dr.’s Brandy in the sole of your child’s feet & cover it with thin socks. Then apply it on the chest and dress the child. This should be the bed-time routine of the child as soon as winter commences. It is a perfect and tested preventive measure for cough & cold. Do try it.
7. Vicks Vaporub: At times toddlers suffer from severe cold and are restless during the night. This is the best option for providing instant relief.
Process- Apply Vicks in the sole of your child’s feet & cover it with thin socks. This will keep him warm in the night and he will have a sound sleep.
I have given the above information to the best of my knowledge and experience. Do try these and revert with the result. Please do share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below.
| Jan 24, 2017
Hi, Thanks for the tips. can we give medicine and after few hrs one of the home remedies ( nutmeg + milk)? Applying Vicks on the feet is not helping much, My lo has bad cold & congestion with blocked nose. Struggling to sleep, giving Benadryl ( allergy formula), but it's not helping much. can I try giving Benadryl and after 8hrs give nutmeg+milk. And add a strand of saffron in the milk? will it all be over dosing?
| Jan 31, 2017
Hai mommies, u can also try triphala churna with honey in empty stomach for cold and honitus syrup for cough, which is available in ayurvedic medical shops... Instead of using allopathy medicines.... my mom always suggests me about fresh ginger juice in honey for my son it works very well if he has cough with sputum...
| Sep 21, 2017
hello mera beta daksh age "3"years 9 month h usko aj bhut jyada cough h or sath m cold bhi h plz mughe uske liya kuch btao.. please