Morning Sickness Causes, Symptoms, Tips to Deal & How Long It Last
Created by Parentune Support Updated on Mar 20, 2020
Nothing can bust the happiness of being pregnant than the first bout of morning sickness. But why does it affect some women more and some less? Waking up every morning to that nauseous feeling can burst the happiness of being pregnant—the feeling of being ill, not wanting to eat, and throwing up at the sight of some foods is not something that is welcomed by any expecting mother. But then, there are cures and medicines that help. Here’s something you should know about morning sickness.
What Is Morning Sickness?
Morning sickness is a situation wherein a pregnant woman feels nauseated and extreme fatigue due to constant throwing up. Morning sickness may or may accompany with a vomit though nausea is quite common.
What Causes Morning Sickness During Pregnancy?
Doctors still aren't sure exactly what causes morning sickness, but the most popular theory is that morning sickness is the body's reaction to the pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which is produced at higher levels during the first trimester than at any other time during pregnancy.
It generally gets triggered off by some odor of strong smelling foods such as fish, garlic, or eggs or even perfume. Another well-documented reason for morning sickness is being empty stomach when pregnant.
What Are The Signs & Symptoms of Morning Sickness In Pregnancy?
Some of the easily recognisable signs of morning sickness during pregnancy are as follows—
- Vomiting 3 -4 times a day
- Extreme fatigue
- Dark coloured urine
- Severe weight loss and unable to gain weight
- Feel dizzy while getting up
How Long Does Morning Sickness Last During Pregnancy?
The entire effect of morning sickness lasts till 14 weeks of pregnancy that is the first trimester. By the beginning of the second trimester you will start feeling better and will also see that the bouts of nausea are decreasing.
Morning Sickness At Night
Interestingly, these bouts of nausea can hit women at any time during the day, and therefore calling them morning sickness can be misleading.
Does Morning Sickness Harm The Foetus?
The foetus is well protected in the amniotic sac and your jerking to puke, will not harm the baby. But sustained nausea, where a pregnant mother throws up frequently, or compromises on her intake of food because of the nauseous feeling, can lead to nutritional deficiencies for both the mother and the baby.
How To Deal With Morning Sickness?
There are 7 easy ways to deal with morning sickness. But you may not be able to follow all seven, so choose the one that suits you and stick to it till you start feeling better.
- Identify what irritates you and causes you to puke and limit exposure to those elements—strong smelling foods, smell of cooking oil etc
- Maintain a chart to figure out when this discomfort is at its peak. Is it early morning, or early evenings? This will help you be better prepared the next time around
- Keep healthy snacks at all times. Fruits like apples, pears, dry snacks such as crackers and biscuits, dried plums and apricots; a few raisins (which can be carried around in your shopping bag), etc are some things that provide the body with the required carbohydrates to tackle nausea. If you get affected in the morning, keep a box of biscuits on your bedside table to eat one, every time you take a washroom break at night
- Experiment with foods of your choice and preferences and see which help in controlling the onset and the symptoms of morning sickness. Ginger is a commonly known antidote but you may or may not like it. So, figure out your own preferences
- Break up your breakfast into smaller bits and ensure you munch on something every hour or two. Keep this pattern across meals
- Also, indigestion will aggravate morning sickness and so keep off too greasy a preparation, spicy or even gassy foods such as cauliflower and cabbage. Have in moderation
- Dehydration is a common and a serious side effect of morning sickness, so drink plenty of healthy fluids through the day. Tender coconut water, nimbu paani, fresh juice, herbal teas are some great options. Sip gradually rather than gulping at one go
Morning Sickness Medication
What are the remedies? Are there any pills I can take? Read this...
- There are safe medicines for it. Women who are very seriously afflicted by morning nutrition can ask their doctors for help. There are very safe medicines which when taken on time can reduce the severity of the symptoms
- Certain supplements can trigger off nausea. For some women, something like iron pills can aggravate the condition further. So, even though iron pills are advised during pregnancy, your doctor can help you with the dosage and nutrition advice
- Vitamin B6 can help. There are some studies which say that Vitamin B6 works as a tummy soother and hence may help in morning sickness. But check with your doctor on this
Home Remedies for Morning Sickness
It can be really daunting to rush to the washroom the moment to get up so here are some home remedies that will help you stay sane during those bouts of morning sickness
- Ginger: Ginger is renowned to curb the symptoms of nausea and settles down the rumbling stomach as well thus reducing the bouts of nausea
- Lemon: We don’t know how this helps but it is believed that smelling a lemony or a sour flavour helps you from feeling nauseous or even throwing up. You may even drink lemon water or suck on some sour candy to reduce the bouts of morning sickness
- Mint: Mint is considered as one of the freshest herb that not only helps your stomach to settle but will also keep your mouth fresh
- Crackers/biscuits: Basic carbohydrates like crackers, toasts or for that matter even biscuit come handy while settling an upset stomach
Is Morning Sickness a Good Sign for Pregnancy?
Well, it all depends on how you perceive being sick during the first three months of your pregnancy. There is no proof to validate the fact that morning sickness is a good sign for pregnancy because it is believed that you get morning sickness when your pregnancy hormone – human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) – levels are quite high. At the same time, there are ladies who don’t experience any sort of sickness neither in the morning nor in the evening and yet have had healthy pregnancies. So it is just a myth and if you are sick then keep yourself hydrated and if you are not just thank your lucky stars.
Did you like the blog on morning sickness? Please do share your views in the comments section below.
| Mar 14, 2019
hello everyone i want to appreciate the great work of dr. ehoh , i have been diagnose of herpes simplex virus for years,i’ve lost all hop and that there is no cure and i have been taken medicine to sustain myself till i got to know about dr. eboh through a friend who he cured of hiv. i contacted him and he sent me his herbal remedy which i took as he directed me to do for some days and i went to the hospital after consuming his herbal medicine and i was confirmed herpes negative after years of pains and suffering , it is indeed a miracle, his web site https://holycurecenter.wordpress.com is a great man, i have heard so much about how he hashelp lot of people, if you have any issue you can contact him for help. via: holycurecenter@gmail. com or add him on whatsapp +2348053823815. you can contact me for more information via: holycurecenter@gmail. com
| Aug 18, 2020
ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Am so glad expressing my profound gratitude to a man that is so concerned about other people's well being. I was suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE II) over 2years, i have spent thousands of dollars in buying expensive drugs and visiting several hospitals in different countries, i was really in selvage pain "until" one glorious morning, i read about Dr. Kham on the internet on how he had helped and cured so many people suffering from HERPES 1$2, HPV, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, ALZHEIMER, FIBROID, ENLARGED PROSTATE and HEART DISEASE ETC. So I contacted him through this Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com and i shared my problems with him, he gave me the healing procedure and i followed them. Two weeks later after I received and used his product, he told me to go for a medical test, behold the result was negative, now am HERPES VIRUS free. I just want to use this platform to thank Dr. Kham for curing me from that deadly virus and also for exposing his herbal cure to the world at large, please you can as well contact him at his Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com (or) visit his website https://drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/ or https://drkhamcaregiver.wixsite.com/drkhamcaregiverherba you can also visit his Whatsapp at +2348159922297 for solutions to your health problems...