Pregnancy nausea: Home remedies that help!
Created by Cheena M Gujral Updated on Jan 01, 1970
Nausea and vomiting are the most typical, yet the most unpleasant symptoms associated with pregnancy. The reasons are numerous, and luckily so are the remedies! So here are some simpletried-tested natural pick-me-ups to help all you expecting mothers settle those stomach woes.These helped me during my pregnancy, and I hope they help you too!
The best natural “ghar ke nuskhe” to help ease nausea during your pregnancy
- Ginger - Ginger is one of the best natural remedies which helps settle your stomach and relieve nausea. Sucking on a piece of ginger can counter morning sickness, or you could even just sniff it for relief. Adding ginger to a cup of tea or lemon juice can do wonders. Dried ginger candies can also be consumed if those suit you.
- Mint or Tulsi–Both thesehave been proven to calm nausea symptoms. Peppermint candiesor low-sugar mint sweets may aid in soothing nausea as well. A cool glass of lemonade with mint makes one feel refreshed during the day.Try boiling a few mint or tulsi leaves and drink the tea made from them for instant relief. The leaves can also be chewed whole if you like the taste.
- Curry leaves –A drink that blends 2-3 spoons ofcurry leaf (karipatta) juice andlemon juice calmsthe discomfort caused by nausea.
- Sour foods –Sour citrus fruits like oranges help in reducing nausea. They are also rich in vitamin C! Lemon juice is a taste enhancer and mixing it with amlaras or honey, adds to the beneficial effects. Flavoured candies,kaalakhatta and dried amla are reasonably good substitutes too.For some would be mums, sniffing scratched lemon(nimbu) is a delight. My south Indian cousin advised me about using “burnt lemon” Naardgaya” in discomfort. Tamarind(imli) can also be a taste booster in some cases.
- Vitamin B6 –Also known as pyridoxine, this can help stop nausea and vomiting.Vitamin B6 can be supplemented naturally byconsuming foods like colocasia(arbi), bananas, avocado, walnuts, chickpeas and kidney beans.
- Cloves - Soak 3-4 cloves in water for approximately 30minutes, strain and drink this at the onset of nausea for instant relief. Sucking on fried cloves can be another way that helps.
- Bael fruit /Woodapple - This fruit has immense health benefits. You can have thepulp of raw bael with sugar or add a few spoons of bael juice in cooked rice. It is a medicinal boon for morning sickness.
- Proteins and carbohydrates –A diet rich in proteins and carbohydrates is advisable. Having smoothies; milkshakes with sandwiches or may be eggs (only if you feel like it!) relieves nausea. Apples, nuts, pistachios and other dry fruits are a rich source to keep your energy levels up.
- Ice cubes - Sucking on a piece of ice is one of the most interesting ideas I picked up from a friend!
- Meditation and exercise - Gentle exercise, trained prenatal yoga and meditation are suggested to help calm your nerves and prevent nausea.
- Healthy eating habits –Your dietand eating habitsdo contribute a great deal towards increased nausea.Here are a few tips -
- Consume small portions of food frequently, avoiding three large, heavy meals.
- Don't eat too fast and chew your food slowly.
- Try to eat food that is at room temperature or cold for better results.
- Staying hydrated with juices and water is important.
- If suffering from night sickness, go easy on your snacking.
- Try healthy snacks like cheese and crackers, milk rusk, fibre biscuits, nuts. Keep them at your bedside always!
- Whether you crave for rasgullas or salty pickles, remember the nausea is not going to stay forever. So deal with it patiently and sensibly. Always check for any allergy causing foods and consult your doctor before adopting anysuggested remedies.Happy pregnancy mommies!!
Did you find Cheena’shome remedies and tips to ease nausea during pregnancyuseful? Howdid/do you relieve your pregnancy related nausea symptoms? Do leave your comments…. We love hearing from you!
| Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. good day
| Jul 28, 2017
Through my whole pregnancy I had home made aawala candies and it was really very effecting and healthy . It relieved me from morning sickness. Blog is really interesting, thanks.