How to Protect Child from Chicken Pox, Risks Factors, Precautions - A mother's experience
Created by Krishnakali Basu Updated on Sep 28, 2021
Chicken Pox is a viral infection in which a person develops itchy blisters all over the body. This used to be one of the classic childhood diseases, but now it has become much less common since the introduction of the vaccine. Given the weather, chicken pox cases are on a rise in March and April months of the year. Here is what you should know about checken pox causes, symptoms & more .
Risk factors of Chicken Pox
Chicken pox is caused by varicella/herpes zoster virus. It is an extremely contagious condition and can spread easily to others. It can spread through contact with the infected person, sharing of articles like towels and pillow covers, and even through coughing and sneezing by the infected person. And unfortunately, the contagious-ness of the disease stays till the blisters crust over shed. The disease, like most viral conditions, does not have a cure in itself but there are medicines for symptomatic relief from body ache, head ache, fever, itchiness etc. But it is not life-threatening and after the headache and fever is over, the patient is free to move around, though he should stay away from company (especially those who don’t have immunity against chicken pox virus either from a previous bout of the disease or the vaccine) for a period of at least 21 days.
But, even though a person may have had chicken pox earlier, or had a vaccine, there is no guarantee of 100% immunity.
Also, herpes popularly known as shingles, is also caused by the same virus and even though you may have immunity, the second time around, the virus can manifest itself as herpes. Therefore it is best advised to exercise precaution.
How To Protect Child from Chicken Pox?
Since I was not vaccinated in my childhood I developed chickenpox this year. It turned difficult when my husband also contacted the infection. Though our son is vaccinnated yet we had to be very careful. We both were in isolation from him for 21 days each.
- Vaccinate: Get your child vaccinated against chicken pox and also get the booster dose, as per doctor’s suggestion. Though vaccine helps, yet a child can get infected with chicken pox, though in reduced intensity.
- Personal Hygiene: For the benefits of people around, the patient should avoid scratching to control the spread of infection. Also, scratching can lead to scarring.
- Hygiene of physical space: The patient’s room should be thoroughly disinfected and cleaned. Disinfectants should be added to the mopping water.
- Separation of garments: The patient’s clothes should not be washed with the clothes of other family members. They should be washed separately using a disinfectant and hot water. Most modern washing machines today also give an option of medic rinse. These can be tried out. Linen used by the infected person should also not be mixed .Patient’s clothes should be thoroughly dried in the sun and ironed too to remove any traces of infection.
- Seek help: If possible, send your child over to his grandparents house so that he is away from the infection. Or call a family member over, if staying away in a nuclear set-up so that the day to day house chores and child can be taken care of.
- Less the exposure, the better it is: Confinement of the patient is required and a quarantine of 21 days to be maintained. Consulting a physician is very important and being treated and following his instructions, crucial.Children should be kept away from an infected adult.
- Educate the children: There are many story books about chicken pox which can be read to a child so that he or she can understand the intensity and follow the do’s and dont’s.
- No shared washrooms: Washroom should not be shared with the infected person. Patient has to ensure complete hygiene while using the washroom.
- Air-borne disease: Since, it spreads by touching, sneezing and coughing, extreme precaution has to be maintained by the patient to cover his nose and mouth.
Chicken Pox Treatments Tips
With chicken-pox, in India, there are a lot of myths and facts associated. Infact, in the interior parts of the country, some even link chicken pox to being possessed by a spirit. Though thankfully, this myth is getting erased, yet still there are many doing the rounds. It is therefore suggested to check with your doctor and take a proper treatment rather than putting yourself through confusions. Also Know: How Chicken Pox is different from Measles ?
- In spite of the popular belief of not bathing, doctors suggest complete hygiene including bathing. For relief, a cool bath with baking soda can be tried.
- Boil neem leaves and add to bath water: Neem is well known for its antiseptic effects and its efficacy in treating chicken pox rash. (Though you may want to ensure first you are not allergic to any of these home remedies)
- Do not rub the skin. Rather dab it dry.
- Like in any other viral disease, eat light, digestible food. Avoid gassy foods such as hard beans, chanas, rajmas etc.
- Staying in isolation and quarantined from family members can be very depressing. Try and keep the mood happy of the patient—let him sit out, get him books to read, get friends to call and chat with the patient on the phone etc.
- Once the person is fully cured but there are scars from the rash, calamine lotion can be dabbed on the scars to fade them. Also, Vitamin E oil application is known to be beneficial.
- A blend of carrot and coriander leaves juice is known to have cooling effects on the body.
Did you like the blog " Chicken Pox Risks Factors, Treatments and Precautions - A mother's experience"? Did you find it useful? Please share your thougts, ideas and feedbacks with us in the comments below; we'd love to her from you!
| Aug 09, 2018
Hi Good morning everyone. my name is Regina Paul. i am a native of Miami Florida in USA, i am a staff of Toyota company, i have been suffering from genital warts (HPV) for over 4years now, and suddenly, i have spent lots of money all to make sure i get healthy. but happily. 2 months ago April 3rd 2018 to be precise i came in contact with a herbal healer online that has been helping lots of people around the word and curing diseases that seem incurable his name is Dr hope. firstly i thought it was a joke until i contacted Dr hope through this email: drhopehivhealingcenter1@gmail. com and he said he can heal me, He requested for my details and the money for the money for the treatment. after a week he some medicine to me in Florida and gave me a prescriptions to use the medicine. and truly, I started regaining my health as soon as i started using the medicine i noticed that warts begins to dry up and disappear gradually. i finished the treatment last month, then i went to my hospital and my doctor confirmed that i was healed of HPV all the medical test i conducted were all negative, i was completely healed. i am very happy to share this experience because i still can not hold my excitement this is his whatapp number +2348104305402 and this is his email: drhopehivhealingcenter1@gmail. com. He also has medicine to heal, HIV, Herpes, Diabetes, Hepatitis, B, and C, Cancer, Asthma, and many more, I believe he can heal almost all type of illness. follow me on twitter reginapaul000000 or email if you need my help: reginapaul000000@gmail. com.
| Nov 18, 2020
A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND. Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail. com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542