Are Grapes Safe To Eat When Pregnant?
Created by Ambili S Kartha Updated on Jan 25, 2021
One of the first advices from my family, friends, relatives, and colleagues was to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables once I revealed my pregnancy. However, not all the fruits and vegetables, even though highly nutritious, are safe to have during pregnancy. I had already learnt that some fruits, which when taken in larger amounts (some even smaller amounts), can be dangerous for both the mother and developing fetus or even interfere with the normal progression of pregnancy. If you are craving grapes during pregnancy, like I was years age, you will worry about to whether or not having grapes is safe during gestation. Continue reading to evaluate the nutritional benefits and side effects of grapes on pregnant women.
Is It Safe To Have Grapes During Pregnancy?
Eating grapes during pregnancy has always been a topic of debate. Many people who vouch for eating grapes claim that it is completely safe to have them in the course of pregnancy. However, there are others who disagree and claim that it is best to avoid grapes during pregnancy. Confused? Well, several factors need to be considered before having this delicious berry during pregnancy. Grapes are loaded with many essential nutrients so they are healthy for pregnant women. Be that as it may, consuming grapes excessively and carelessly can turn out to be unsafe during pregnancy.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Grapes During Pregnancy?
Eating grapes in moderation during pregnancy brings some advantages for mother and child. Some of the benefits are:
- Increase immunity: Grape is a rich source of antioxidants. Therefore, eating grapes helps to increase the immunity, thereby, keeps mild infections at bay
- Good source of folic acid: Grape is a good source of folic acid. Therefore, it helps with the healthy progression of pregnancy and the fetal development
- Prevents constipation: Grape is a fiber rich fruit. Therefore, eating grapes will improve the bowel movements and thereby decrease the chances of constipation
- Relieves muscle cramps: Magnesium present in the grapes helps to relieve muscle cramps, which is common in the course of pregnancy
- Prevents anemia: Anemia, which is common in the course of pregnancy, can be prevented by consuming red grapes. Iron plays an important role in hematopoiesis (production of blood) and grapes, especially the red one is rich in iron
- Maintain cholesterol level: The enzyme in grapes increases the bile formation and, thereby, checks the blood fat volume from increasing, Thereby maintaining the cholesterol level
- Control arthritis and asthma: Arthritis and asthma tend to aggravate during pregnancy. Grapes help to control this issue with its anti inflammatory property
What Are The Cons Of Having Grapes During Pregnancy?
Aside from the advantages, grapes have some disadvantages if they are not properly cleaned or if more than a reasonable amount of grape is consumed. Here are some cons of over-eating grapes:
- Cause digestive issues: As already mentioned above, over consumption of grapes can bring about diarrhea, heartburn, vomiting, and nausea
- Unhealthy weight gain: Over consumption of grapes, which are high in calories can result in overweight of mother. Putting on more weight is not welcome during pregnancy as it paves the way for several other issues
- Can cause bloating: Overconsumption of grapes make expecting mother bloated as it increases the gas formation
- Increases the chances of gestational diabetes: Over consumption of grapes during pregnancy increases the chances of gestational diabetes, especially if you have a family history
- Big baby: Over consumption of grapes towards the last trimester of pregnancy can result in more weight gain of the fetus. This will make the labor longer and painful or can increase the chances of a C-section
Eating Grapes During Early Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
Sour grapes are acidic. They can cause digestive issues for expecting mothers. Expecting mothers already have a tendency to experience heart burns during the early stages of pregnancy due to the surge of pregnancy hormones. This acidity caused by sour grapes can trigger nausea and vomiting or aggravate both the conditions, which most of the pregnant women experience during the first trimester. Excessive vomiting can lead to dehydration, which is quite dangerous for mother and child. Therefore, it is better to avoid sour grapes during the first trimester of pregnancy. However, a few sweet grapes are okay to have during this time.
Eating Grapes During The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy
It is better to avoid eating grapes in the third trimester because of their heat-generating property. The excessive heat in the stomach can cause loose motions and diarrhea in expecting mothers, which is dangerous, as it not only causes loss of fluids and leads to dehydration, but persistent diarrhea may cause irritation of the uterus kick starting pre term contractions.
Eating Dry Grapes During Pregnancy
Dried grapes or Raisins should be avoided during pregnancy. The main issue with grapes is the elevated level of a chemical called Resveratol. This chemical has potential to disrupt the hormonal balance in the body. It poses danger to pregnant women as they are already experiencing the issues of hormonal imbalance. Resveratrol poisoning can cause several complications during pregnancy. In raisins or dried grapes, the level of resveratrol will be very high.
Green Grapes During Pregnancy
Sour green grapes should be avoided during pregnancy. As they aggravate acidity, they are not recommended during pregnancy period when expecting mothers are more prone to heartburn. Similarly, seedless grapes are also not preferred as they cannot deliver all the benefits of the seeded grapes. Seeds are an excellent source of fiber which is very important in maintaining body weight, maintaining blood glucose levels and increasing bowel activity. Also, most of the minerals are present in the skin and seed of the grapes. Seedless grapes will not be, therefore, as beneficial as grapes with seed.
Should Black Grapes Be Avoided During Pregnancy?
Black grapes are not good for pregnant women because of their hard skin. The skin of black grapes is too hard to digest as the digestive system of the pregnant woman is already weakened during pregnancy. Thus, to avoid digestive issues, pregnant women are advised against to have black grapes.
When Should Eating Grapes During Pregnancy Be Avoided?
Even though highly nutritious, grapes are forbidden if:
- The expecting mother has a history of gestational diabetes or if diabetes runs in the family
- The expecting mother has a history of allergy (bloat, diarrhea, vomiting,etc.) against grapes
- The expecting mother already experiencing any issues with digestion
- The mother is obese
What Precautions Should Be Taken When Eating Grapes During Pregnancy?
- Wash and clean grapes thoroughly before consuming
- To make grape juice, wash, blend in a blender or with ladle and strain well for good taste
- Peel the grapes before eating because Resveratrol is prominently present in the skin of the grapes
- Don't eat grapes with milk and dairy products or in empty stomach
Health Tips If You Are Pregnant?
All in all, I feel grapes during pregnancy should essentially be a rare affair, and indulging too much in them should be avoided. If you do have cravings for grapes, grab a handful or two, but make sure that you eat in moderation only.