What Food to Choose During Cold & Cough & Home Remedies?
Created by Pooja Kaushik Updated on Feb 20, 2020
With young children, sometimes it seems like one bout of illness hasn’t even vanished yet before the next one rears its ugly head. Diarrhoea, vomiting, constipation, cold, and cough – these are some of the most common concerns the little ones have to deal with, and in turn, the parents. A cough or a fever can be an indicator of any one of various viral and bacterial infections, including the common cold. [Expert Tips to Cope-up with Diarrhea]
As a first-time mum are you hassled with a recurring bout of a cough and cold in your child? Does the sight of your little one in discomfort make you feel helpless? If Yes, then worry not. Our proparent blogger Pooja Kaushik shares some easy home remedies for the errant culprit.
Cold, Cough and Fever In Toddlers
It’s extremely difficult to see your little one sneezing constantly, or irritated by a runny nose, or a cough that just doesn’t seem to stop. But before you work yourself into a panic, let’s try and understand a little about the common cold.
What Food Can I Give To My Toddler During Cold And Cough?
When your toddler is unwell and is refusing to eat solid food, give him plenty of warm fluids.
- You may give him bone broth (if you are a non-vegetarian)
- For vegetarians, clear vegetable soups will do the trick
- Hot rasam (a South Indian dish of watery consistency taken with rice) made with garlic, jeera, and turmeric will work wonders for a cold
- Warm water with one teaspoon of honey mixed with ginger juice - as it helps soothe a sore throat
Look Cough And Cold Symptoms in Your Child
While you will need to consult your child’s pediatrician in case of a high fever or difficulty in breathing, read on to find out how you can ease the symptoms at home...
- A runny Nose
- Vomiting Tendency
- Eventually the loss of appetite
- Heavy voice
- Chest congestion (cough accumulation)
- Feeling drowsy all the time
Home Remedies For Cough & Cold in Your Child
When your child comes down with a bout of cold, here are some simple home remedies that can help.
1. Apple Juice
Yes! This good old staple in many homes helps boost immunity and protects your child from allergies.
Preparing Apple Juice
Parentune Tip: It is best to give him the juice as the first food of the day, even before milk, for infants above 6 months and toddlers.
2. Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
A well-known spice, used to enhance the aroma and taste of Indian foods, can also be used as a cure because of its medicinal properties.
How To Give Your Child Nutmeg:
- Rub the nutmeg in a sandalwood stone grinder with some milk
- Make a smooth paste & give it to your child followed by milk
- It can be given twice a day with time duration of a minute of 8 hrs
- It can be given to new-born babies but in small quantities
- Dosage- ½ of a spoon for 2-year-old!
An expensive spice, known for the in-built beauty enhancer characteristics, also has medicinal properties.
How To Give Your Child Kesar?
- Soak 1 piece of saffron in 2 teaspoons of milk for a minimum of 2 hrs
- Rub it in the same milk after 2 hrs
- Add it to your child’s milk and make him drink it
- You will see the effect in 1 week if continued daily
4. Turmeric Milk (Haldi-Wala Doodh)
Another healing spice with anti-bacterial properties found quite easily in all Indian homes, can also be used as a remedy to push away cold.
How To Prepare Turmeric Milk?
- Boil the child’s milk with turmeric in it for a minute or two!
- Cool it till it turns lukewarm and gives it to your child
- This is an extremely beneficial drink and builds immunity to the child
5. Basil (Tulsi) Leaves
The only herb which is trusted and used for a cure against various diseases and disorders in Ayurveda. Tulsi is an awesome cough repellent and can be used in different ways.
How You Can Use Basil Leaves For Your Child?
- Grind 3-4 basil leaves
- Boil them for 2 minutes
- Add some honey and feed your child the lukewarm drink
- You can add fresh ginger, cardamom, turmeric, betel leaves, and black pepper
- This works as an instant relief for your child
Cut an apple without peeling and put it in the pressure cooker with a half glass of water. Share your experience/feedback with us in the comments section...
| Feb 02, 2017
Hi Debolina. My take on vicks is already explained in my previous comment( harmless when applied to the feet). Moreover, juice made with boiled apples is best when taken empty stomach. I do this first thing in the morning for my son & surely this has boosted his immunity. And ya! raw fruits should never be consumed empty stomach.
| Feb 04, 2017
Hi Niranjani. I understand your condition. I guess you should consult the paediatrician as this is an issue which needs allopathic treatment. On the other hand, you can try giving him the home remedies written on the blog. It will surely boost his immunity. All d bst n take care.
| Feb 13, 2017
Hi My lil one very often suffers from cold and cough say it like once in 2 weeks. Fed up of giving alopathy medicines. It cures for time being and again in another 2 weeks time she gets cold and severe cough(dry) which affects her sleep and apetite. Can you suggest remedy for permanent relief.
| Apr 19, 2017
| Oct 08, 2017
thank you so much