5 Basic Everyday Eye Care Routine for Children
Created by Dr Rasheena Bansal Updated on Jan 27, 2019
Everyone knows how to take care of his or her body and maintain healthy lifestyle by eating healthy and regular exercise. The same goes for children. Taking care of eyes at this age is quite important, as eyes are still developing. If you want your child’s eyes to remain strong and healthy, then you have to take care of them at a daily basis. Read on to find out some simple steps for your child’s eye care.
Tips For Your Child’s Eye CareSo, here are some tips for your daily eye health routine-
Regular Eye Exams:Regular eye checkup for your child is quite crucial
- As most of the times children are unable to convey their problems at a younger age, it is mandatory you get the eyes examined once a year
- For children, eye exams should be performed starting at six months old, then again once a year till five years of age
- After that point, children with healthy eyes should have eye exams every two years. Even if you don’t see any problem, have your child’s eyes checked once before 3 years of age (‘SEE BY THREE’)
- If a problem is found, it can be treated immediately
Eye healthy food:There are a lot of foods that contain nutrients that are very beneficial to your eye health, so you should begin incorporating more of these foods into your and your child’s everyday diet
- Carrots contain beta-carotene and vitamin A, which are great nutrients for your vision. They are also good for children, as their eye muscles are still developing. By adding this eye-healthy food into your daily diet, you can help prevent vision problems over time
- There are many other foods, such as spinach, kale, avocados, red meats, poultry, and many others that help your vision. Eat well-balanced meals with lots of fruits and vegetables to keep your eyes healthy
Sun Protection:Encourage your children to wear sunglasses when you are outside even if it is cloudy outside to protect their eyes from UV Rays. This would not only give them UV protection but also protect them from developing eye allergy due to increasing environmental pollution
Less Electronic/ Gadget usage:Encourage your children to do more outdoor activities than playing inside on mobile phones, tablets and other electronic gadgets
- Spending so much time using these electronics can cause significant eyestrain, blurred vision, and dry eye, and also an increase in headaches as a result of the strain being put on their eyes
- Increased outdoor activities would reduce the chances of children developing myopia (Near-sightedness)
- Television should be watched at a proper viewing distance of 3 to 3.5 meters in a well- lighted room
- Long hours of computer or TV viewing should be avoided (Not more than 2-3 hours a day with 5- 10 minutes break every 45 min)
Eye Hygiene:Children should not touch their eyes with dirty hands. Emphasize on washing face and hands once they come from outside after playing
- Myths of application of kajal and washing eyes with rosewater should be discouraged
- Sharp and pointed edge toys for infants and toddlers should be avoided as they can accidentally cause eye injury
Did you find this blog on eye care for children, useful? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments section!
| May 02, 2016
my daughter is having -3 and -2. 5... in last 3 years her power is increasing.. although I take good care of her nutrition and avoid electronic gadgets.. but she is fond of reading,,is it true that this power is increase according to age.. plz suggest me something to stop this increase of power
| Sep 19, 2016
very nice blog. my lo is 1. 3 yrs old. Only I m taking care of her, in laws cant be here with me. When I have some urgent kitchen work, I switch on the tv for her and play nursery rhymes or kids songs. Is this ok. I have tried to give her toys instead of watching tv but she runs and comes in the kitchen destroying aloo pyaaj and utensils all over. Thus I let her sit in front of tv for not more than an hour until I done with cooking and all. I know its not good for her at this very small age, but then what should I do to keep her busy and diverting her attention.
| Sep 27, 2016
dear hetal . as a mother i would say ,getting your child use to tv is not good . you can do cooking n other work when ur child is sleeping . i n many other moms face this problem . only Solution is finish work when they are sleeping . also if u r busy in kitchen n child is in other room with tv how will u keep an eye on ur child . good luck
| Oct 01, 2016
Nowadays children love to be on mobiles rather TV watching or playing. So, mostly I try mobile not be under his reach and try to engage him in some creative activities for which I took help of flintobox. try this I and my kid is actually happy wuth this. http://flintobox.com/ref/dr/rm?portalCode=W4XQZMX still if he is stubborn n want mobile, then I never give it in his hands. I make sure its on maximum distance from him.
| Aug 18, 2020
ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Am so glad expressing my profound gratitude to a man that is so concerned about other people's well being. I was suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE II) over 2years, i have spent thousands of dollars in buying expensive drugs and visiting several hospitals in different countries, i was really in selvage pain "until" one glorious morning, i read about Dr. Kham on the internet on how he had helped and cured so many people suffering from HERPES 1$2, HPV, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, ALZHEIMER, FIBROID, ENLARGED PROSTATE and HEART DISEASE ETC. So I contacted him through this Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com and i shared my problems with him, he gave me the healing procedure and i followed them. Two weeks later after I received and used his product, he told me to go for a medical test, behold the result was negative, now am HERPES VIRUS free. I just want to use this platform to thank Dr. Kham for curing me from that deadly virus and also for exposing his herbal cure to the world at large, please you can as well contact him at his Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com (or) visit his website https://drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/ or https://drkhamcaregiver.wixsite.com/drkhamcaregiverherba you can also visit his Whatsapp at +2348159922297 for solutions to your health problems...