Quick Breakfast Porridge Recipe Ideas for Your Child
Created by Ankita Gupta Updated on Aug 10, 2021
Milk is a major component of your toddlers’ daily diet. 400-500 ml of full fat milk per day is usually recommended for toddlers. Some toddlers are very fussy about drinking milk so porridge is the best way to fulfil their milk requirement. Start your child’s day in a healthy way with milk porridge.
To make your work quick and efficient, I would like to suggest that you keep different types of flours like barley, ragi, raw Kerala banana, ground oats, ground daliya and roasted suji ready in containers. These flours come really handy when you have to make your toddler breakfast.
Breakfast Porridge Recipe Types
Here are some easy and tasty breakfast porridge recipe ideas:
1. Daliya Porridge
- If daliya is ground first, it doesn't take much time to cook.
- To grind daliya, first soak the daliya for half an hour in water, drain and dry in the sun.
- Roast it to get rid of any moisture and add a few cardamom seeds for added flavour. Add a little bit of ghee while roasting to avoid burning it.
- Once cooled down, grind it coarsely and store in an airtight container.
- This is now ready to be cooked in small batches.
- Use jaggery or dates as sweeteners.
2. Oats Porridge
- For oats porridge, its best to use organic rolled oats for your toddler.
- I always grind rolled oats coarsely and keep them stored and ready.
- Grinding reduces the cooking time and also ground food is easily digested by the body.
3. Barley Porridge
- Barley is rich in potassium and copper.
- Dry roast it and store it for quick use.
4. Ragi Porridge
- Ragi is a great source of iron and calcium.
- It can be roasted in ghee, ground and stored and kept ready to cook.
5. Beaten Rice or Poha Porridge
- Beaten rice or poha is rich in iron and easily digestible.
- Dry roast poha on low flame.
- Add roasted gram dal to make it protein rich.
- Grind and store.
6. Lotus Seed Porridge
- Lotus seeds are a good source of protein, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Roast lotus seeds with a few drops of ghee, grind and store for some days.
7. Raw Kerala Banana Porridge
- Raw Kerala banana is packed with carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins and considered a weight boosting food like ragi.
- Raw Kerala banana powder can be bought from baby food stores or can be made at home.
How to Prepare Porridge
- To make any porridge recipe, add 1-2 tablespoons of your preferred flour in milk.
- Add dry fruits powder.
- Mix well and cook till you get your desired consistency.
Other Great Porridge Recipes-
- Sweet potato is rich in carbohydrates and beta carotene.
- Always keep some dry fruits powder ready and add it in your baby’s porridge to make it nutrition rich.
- Try to pair different type of flours for a change to make porridge.
- Ragi and raw Kerala banana go very well with sweet potato, barely and daliya.
- Lotus seeds can be paired with roasted suji to make porridge.
Porridge is considered to be a high energy and nutrient rich food. Fibres present in the porridge help in digestion. So there is nothing better than starting your child’s day than with these porridge recipes.
Did you find Ankita’s recipe ideas for breakfast porridge useful? What are your favourite breakfast recipes for your child? Do leave your recipes and comments…. We love hearing from you!
| Aug 03, 2017
dear sunetra.. lotus seeds are also called makhana. They are quite popular in north India . it falles under dry fruits catageory. you can buy them from grocery store or thru online sites like bigbasket etc. Benifits of lotus seeds I have already mentioned in my blog.
| Sep 15, 2017
dear Desai Nams , you can give him grinded Daliya, roasted wheat flour, roaste ragi flour, soyabean rice flour and roasted sooji in savoury form. Put little ghee in pan, add heeng ,jeera and turmeric. now you can add any grated vegetables like tomato, carrot, zucchini, paneer,pureed spinach and many more as per baby's taste. add salt and roasted any of the above mentioned flour. add water and stir till it is done. serve it in a little runny consistency to the baby.
Top Food and Nutrition Blogs
Top Food and Nutrition Talks
Top Food and Nutrition question