Dependence on television amongst children
Created by Namrata Kumbhat Updated on Sep 21, 2019
Television addiction in children has been an issue with almost all parents , specially working. We as parents are ourselves the root cause of this problem. Making them watch television is for our convenience. Whenever we are busy we ask the child to go and watch cartoons, or play games.
How I Ensure That My Children Spend Their Time Constructively?
I have two daughters aged 7 & 4 and it's been 7 years I have not subscribed to any cartoon channels. On the other hand, my daughters have also not ever asked for it, because I have been engaging them in some other activities like reading, solving puzzles DIY creative kits. Cartoons are not a necessity.
They can watch something which gives them good learning and enhances their observational skills for instance if . Nowadays children get to watch cartoons in school in a specially designated period for it and I feel that 20-30mins of watching cartoon is more than enough in a day. In fact there are parents who prefer serving food while the child is watching T.V, so that the child eats whatever is served on the plate with a minimum fuss.
Creative Pastimes For My Children
While I say that television watching is completely unproductive, however I would like to share here that if the content on the TV is quite interesting, full of lessons and entertaining for the children. But if you want to go completely off TV then here is something you can indulge your child into—
- Physical activity or outdoor playtime: When your child is off TV, he or she would like to spend some time playing outside. It is the need of the time as well. So let them go and have their outdoor play time in the evening
- Creative learning through DIY activities: There are so many DIY activity kits that you can either buy from the market or download it from the internet and get engaged with your child to create some painting, or whatever product you have chosen
- Reading or Drawing: This is one of the most constructive hobby your child can nurture once he or she is off TV. So get him or her good books and drawing books, colouring books or even sketch files along with variety of colours including crayons, colour pencils, water colours and sketch pens
- Puzzle solving: There are numerous puzzles available in the market that you may buy for your child and the level of the difficulty increases with the age group. You may also ask your child to solve the puzzles that come in the newspaper
- Dancing away the boredom: Well, nothing kills the boredom as dancing does. So get your child and put on some good music and dance away the blues with your child. A great way to bond with your child as well, don’t you think?
Negative Effects Of TV On Your Child
There are numerous side effects of TV on your child and some of them include
- Sitting in front of television or gadgets are one of the root cause for obesity in children. So, it’s not the children who are addicted to television or gadgets but we are, to keep ourselves away from them for some time for our own benefits
- Lifestyle diseases are becoming a growing concern in present age children because children these days are leading a sedentary lifestyle
- Poor vision and specs in young children is all due to over exposure to TV and gadgets
So, let's give our children a childhood filled with memories of their own creation and give them a sense of satisfaction and achievement.
| Oct 22, 2017
my kids spoil everything I give them my son on his last birthday got games as gifts from his friends in 1 month he has teared everything so I am afraid to buy any games for him my daughter is also doing the same thing what her brother is doing how can I avoid this