6 Winter Diaper Care Tips for Babies
Created by Janaki Srinivasan Updated on Oct 18, 2020
Babies have very sensitive skin and care should be taken to protect them throughout the year. Every season brings with it its own problems and as parents we must be aware of the changes and care. Winters are normally quite harsh on the little one's skin. And if your little one is still on diapers—disposable or cloth ones, it is very important to know how to protect their skin from getting dry and losing moisture.
How to Care Baby Diaper in Winter ?
It is important to know and understand proper diapering to keep your baby safe throughout winter. Let's get started with some must know 7 diapering tips during winters.
- Change Diapers Frequently: Winter is normally a time when children pee more frequently and therefore you need to keep a constant watch over the diaper. Check and change diapers every 2 hours if necessary and make sure before changing to clean the genital area thoroughly. Longer use of soiled/wet diapers can cause rashes and irritation. Hence, remember to apply diaper rashcream generously around the genital area for protection
- Type of Diaper—Cloth vs. Disposable: It is totally your choice because it depends on which ones you and your baby are comfortable in. However, one rule applies to both. You must keep the baby dry and change it frequently. Most parents prefer using disposable ones during winter because they are more absorbent and keep the baby dry for longer hours. However, if cloth diapers are your preference, make sure you wash and air them well, preferably in the sun. But if that is not possible, make sure you use a dryer. Another thing to remember is to prevent using diapers that are too tight. Sometimes, it is a good idea to go one size up, especially in winter. Also read traditional Cloth Diapers vs Baby Diaper Rash
- Generous Use of Moisturizers: Another thing that most mothers often miss out is to keep the baby's bottoms well moisturized in winters. Use a good moisturizer, rather than a lotion and make sure to apply it after bath, every time you change the diaper or when you take your baby out. Also the front part should be well moisturized and protected. In case you suspect that your baby has eczema, make sure to consult your pediatrician immediately, rather than resorting to self- care.
- Choice of Clothes in Winter: It is important to keep your little one warm in winter, but that doesn't mean that you should cover them in several layers mindlessly. Remember, over-heating can cause rashes too. Therefore, dress them in full pants; keep them covered only to the point of keeping them warm. Avoid tight fitting bottoms as they can cause uneasiness when you use diapers. Use soft, comfortable pajamas, pants or warmers
- Some Diaper-free time a must: Even in winters, it is essential that you leave your baby diaper-free for at least 10 to 15 minutes a day. This will prevent friction and rashes and make sure that your baby's bottoms are aerated and dry
- Use a humidifier if required: If you happen to be in a cold country, you can use a humidifier in the room where your baby sleeps. This is because the central heating can suck up all the moisture. Using a humidifier ensures that it is brought back in. Tips to Maintain Baby Diaper Hygiene in Summers
- A warm bath: Overuse of soap and water can dry your baby's sensitive skin so make sure you use a mild soap at all times and particularly in winter. Don't let your baby soak in water too long and make sure the water is not hot, but warm. As soon as he's done with bath, quickly wrap him in a hooded towel and pat him dry. Don't rub too hard. While he's still moist rub the moisturizer so that it gets absorbed quickly. Remember not to use baby powders, especially around the genital area as it doesn't allow the baby's skin to breathe
Babies have super sensitive skin, hence it is quite important to take extra care of it, especially during winters. Remember to consult your doctor on the products to use and tips to keep your baby warm and safe. Choose fewer ingredients that are fragrance-free and safe. Remember to use a diaper rash cream to prevent chafing and use disposable diapers if your baby is easily prone to rashes. In fact, doctors recommend use of washcloth and water instead of wipes, unless you are cleaning baby poop, because wipes too can sometimes irritate the baby's skin. Above all, use mild detergents to wash your baby's clothes.
"Babies' skin is thinner and more prone to irritation, but it's very resilient", according to Bruce Brod, MD and dermatologist, Philadelphia. He further adds that despite all this, their skin care tips are the simplest because, "less is more, and it's more cost-effective too".
Did you like the blog on diaper care in winter? Share your views and feedback in the comments section below, as we would love to hear from you.
| Aug 18, 2020
ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Am so glad expressing my profound gratitude to a man that is so concerned about other people's well being. I was suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE II) over 2years, i have spent thousands of dollars in buying expensive drugs and visiting several hospitals in different countries, i was really in selvage pain "until" one glorious morning, i read about Dr. Kham on the internet on how he had helped and cured so many people suffering from HERPES 1$2, HPV, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, ALZHEIMER, FIBROID, ENLARGED PROSTATE and HEART DISEASE ETC. So I contacted him through this Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com and i shared my problems with him, he gave me the healing procedure and i followed them. Two weeks later after I received and used his product, he told me to go for a medical test, behold the result was negative, now am HERPES VIRUS free. I just want to use this platform to thank Dr. Kham for curing me from that deadly virus and also for exposing his herbal cure to the world at large, please you can as well contact him at his Email: dr. khamcaregiver@gmail. com (or) visit his website https://drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/ or https://drkhamcaregiver.wixsite.com/drkhamcaregiverherba you can also visit his Whatsapp at +2348159922297 for solutions to your health problems...