Teach Your Toddler How To Dress & Undress With These Easy Tips
Created by Sugandha Tiwari Updated on Feb 03, 2018
Out of all the activities of daily living, dressing and undressing is another key skill in the achievement of independence by your child. I know some of the parents for whom teaching this skill alone is quiet an exhausting process. Why this skill is important
This skill again is a major indicator to show whether your child has gained awareness about his/her own body. Besides becoming independent in dressing and undressing it teaches your child other very important skills to do various other tasks like buttoning unbuttoning, identifying the right side of the garment to be worn and so on.
Promoting independence is a critical skill for your child’s self-esteem. The skill of dressing and undressing is also important for potty training.
Before beginning to teach undressing, it would really help if you can first break down the dressing part into smaller parts. For eg. the steps required for putting on pants would be:
- Pick up pants by waistband
- Lower pants and lift up leg
- Put left leg into pant hole
- Put right leg into pant hole
- Pull pants up to knees
- Stand and pull pants to waist
Tips and techniques to help you
- Begin teaching dressing with clothes that have clear labels and clear front and back.
- Start with big size clothes and loose fitting ones.
- Have shirts or t shirts with short sleeves instead of long ones.
- Practice teaching in front of the mirror. Let you child see his own self while trying to dress. It will also give him/her better positioning of clothes.
- Your child might naturally pick up a left or right side of the body when he/she starts wearing clothes, do not force anything at this point. It is completely fine. If your child gets confused or tangled, avoid doing it for him/her. Let him/her manage it on own.
- Try maintaining consistency by everyday asking your child to practice from the same side of body.
- If your child forgets the steps involved in dressing, you can write them down in simple easy to understand language on a flash card.
- Highlight the difference in the identification of stiches on the front and back of the garment at later stages. Stiches are very fine things to observe.
Other things to take care
- Keep the teaching of all skills in the evening when the rush for getting ready for school is not there.
- Maintain a laundry bag for your child in the room where clothes can be kept.
- Another thing that might help is training your child simultanaeously in organizing his/her wardrobe. Let him/her organize at least his/her own clothes. This can be a part of the daily routine also.
- Whenever your child wants to choose clothes on his own to wear, allow him/her to do that.
| Feb 05, 2018
these tips are quite handy in teaching our children to dress up and undress.. thanks for sharing!
| Feb 03, 2018