How to Take Care of Yourself During Pregnancy - A Mom's Account
Created by Soma Sarkar Updated on Oct 19, 2019
Being a mother is the most beautiful feeling in the whole world. You get all your soul and dreams packed in a new body. However, this special bond in my life brought along many undesirable feelings too. My body structure was not the same anymore. Those gained kilos were distinctly visible. I was not bothered much about my weight except that it leads to stretching of my skin especially over the stomach. This stretching was abruptly accompanied by itchy and rashy skin. I remember scratching my body like a devil.
The whole sequence of approaching trimesters was making me more irritable and always kept me in a bad mood. From an uneven skin tone to those varicose veins, I felt like puking even at the sight of chocolates. These factors led me to depression. Even though I was aware of this phase which happens in every woman's life, but in actuality, it was very challenging. I became the epitome of mood swings and was in an emotional and physical turmoil. My appearance changed, and, all of this together destroyed my inner peace.
Like all other to-be moms, I too was dealing with a messy affair. I was desperate to get rid of all the discomforts - especially the scars, rashes, stretch marks, and my uneven skin tone. Luckily, my friend came to the rescue. Her satisfying experiment with Bio-oil for stretch marks and skin rashes was a big-time hit during my pregnancy. I started using it around my second trimester. It was easy to apply and was soothing for my itchy skin.
Quick Tips for Moms and To-Be Mom After Baby Birth
After experiencing the highs and lows during my pregnancy, I would love to share a couple of quick tips with all the moms and to-be moms who may need them.
- Use Bio-oil Well Before Your First Scar or Rash Appears - I would advise starting its' application by the end of the first trimester only. Applying it over your stretch-marks / scars or belly will keep your skin moist and help you keep the redness away. It also neutralizes the uneven skin tone. Bio-oil is completely safe for your baby and you. So, massage it twice a day for a moisturized, marks free skin.
- Stay Hydrated - It is the next best thing you can do for yourself while carrying a baby. Eat freshwater, lemonade, and fiber-rich salads with cucumber sprouts to maintain the water balance in the body.
- Staying Active - This is very important if you are an expecting mother. Mild exercises or brisk walking helps you stay active and aids in having a smooth pregnancy. It reduces the chances of any complications too.
- Having a Balanced Diet is what everyone should ensure. However, in pregnancy, it becomes a necessity. Eat dry fruits, fruits, vegetables, protein, and milk-based foods to provide all the vital nutrients to your growing baby. Your diet should be rich in carbs, proteins, and desirable fats
- Keep Checking Sugar Levels - Check on your sugar levels too. Maintaining an appropriate sugar level during pregnancy is very crucial. High sugar levels may affect the baby's health and may lead to complications. So, exercising and limiting sugar intake is very helpful in pregnancy days.
Undoubtedly we moms, have a way of taking care of everything, yet sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves. Following these pointers have helped me immensely in staying beautiful - both from inside as well as outside. I have taken care of myself and hope you will take care of yourself too. Stay healthy, happy, and beautiful!
Disclaimer: This article is sponsored by Bio-Oil India. Their product Bio-Oil is a Skincare specialist, trusted in 127 countries for reducing stretch marks in 90 days.