Protect your child from the smog – 9 handy tips
Created by Parentune Support Updated on Nov 05, 2016
Air Quality Index (AQI) perhaps has become a key health indicator for all of us who are in Delhi NCR. Considering that the pollution levels in Delhi NCR are 18 times higher than the permissible levels, it is natural that you worry about your child’s health. An AQI of 300 or above is considered to be hazardous and may lead to serious health effects. The current levels in various parts of Delhi NCR are upwards of 300, and are touching 900 at a few areas. Children are the most vulnerable to such air quality. But worry not, as we bring to you 9 handy tips to help you protect your child from this smog.
1. Make sure that your child stays indoors as much as possible. On days, when you see that the pollution numbers have worsened, avoid sending your child out of home to such hazardous areas. You can see real time pollution index here. http://aqicn.org/map/delhi/
2. Use an N-95 mask yourself and for your child while stepping out. If your child wants to play outside, do it only when the sun is out, and ideally get your child to wear the mask, till the AQI levels don't improve.
3. Minimise the use of pesticides, room fresheners, deo sprays, etc in the presence of your child.
4. Try to get your child to drink warm water before sleeping.
5. Use indoor and outdoor plants; they will help in filtering the air.
6. Ensure that you keep all the windows and doors at your home closed.
7. Instead of AC use fans at home to ensure that there is no polluted air coming in.
8. You could engage your child in lung strengthening exercises through yoga.
9. Ask your child's preschool/school to increase the number of plants in School corridors and outdoors to make it more green
The health and well being of your child is extremely important, and air pollution is emerging as an epidemic that affects each and every child. In worse cases, it has been noticed that this hazardous air is impairing the lung development of children. Let us try to combat it through these simple measures and more that are in our control, and improve the air that our family breathes. Please share tips, which you know of and have helped you to protect your child from this smog, here in the comment section. Please take care.
| Nov 06, 2016
It's best if one can invest in air purifiers.. but go for onli wid HEPA filters.. coz dey are d one wich even cleanse 2. 5 particles from air.. but u can't hav air purifier in all d rooms so for rest places else than room indoor plants wich purifies air naturally and needs less sunlight and water and needs less care are also gud investment for kids and family