Khichdi -- Easy, yummy, wholesome
Created by Nikitha Urs Updated on Aug 16, 2020
All moms are always busy – whether you are engaged in a job or not! Taking care of your home and children is a full-time job in itself. We are also concerned about giving our child and family the best and healthiest food possible –and may not always have the time to prepare full elaborate meals! Here is a simple and easy khichdi recipe for all you busy moms; I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! But do you know what is khichdi actually? No, so let’s find out.
What Is Khichdi?
Khichdi is a popular North Indian dish, which is ideally given when you are unwell. However, this simple dish has travelled a long way and now is considered as one-pot nourishing meal for the entire family.
Can I Make Variations To The Original Recipe?
Yes, and that’s the beauty of this simple yet delicious tasting dish. You can flavour it with numerous vegetables and lentils and alter the consistency according to your taste and preference.
Moong Dal Khichdi or Khara Pongal Recipe For The Busy Moms
Ingredients for Moong Dal Khichdi
- Moong Dal - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 big cut into small (optional)
- Rice - 1 cup - soakfor 10 minutes, and drain the water
- Mustard seeds– a pinch
- Curry leaf 5 -8 leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder little or as per your need. You could use pepper corns too
- Ginger grated - around 3/4th spoon
- Coconut 2 spoons ( optional )
- Turmeric - 1/2 spoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 spoon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Oil - 2 spoons
Method For Cooking Moong Dal Khichdi
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil add some mustard seeds, you could add so jeera too if you like
- Once the seeds start to splutter, add some onions and fry them a little
- Add a little ginger, and the moong Dal, and stir for a few minutes. Then add the rice and a few pepper corns
- Next, some turmeric, a little garam masala and pepper powder
- Add 5 to 6 cups of water, and salt as per your taste
- Lastly, add the coriander and coconut
- Close the lid and pressure cook (2 to 5 whistles based on for whom you are preparing)
- Once pressure is release if required add water and boil till the required consistency, or consume it directly. The consistency should be medium - not too thick nor watery
- You can even add some lemon drops if required, or you may optionally use tomatoes too
- This can be consumed with some tomato sauce or even tamarind chutney if you like
This khichdi tastes best when eaten fresh and hot! It is easy to prepare, and a delicious, healthy dish that can be consumed and enjoyed by all ages! It is extremely versatile, so you can make variations as you please.
Did you find Nikitha’s khichdi recipe useful– do try and let us know! What are your quick and healthy recipes that your family enjoys? Do share them with us! Do leave your comments. We love hearing from you!
Top Food and Nutrition Blogs
Top Food and Nutrition Talks
Top Food and Nutrition question