Shahi Tukda - Hyderabadi Dessert Recipe
Created by Nishtha Dutt Updated on Jan 10, 2021
Shahi Tukda, is a rich Hyderabadi dessert recipe that is prepared using bread. The authentic version of Shahi Tukda, calls for use of full fat milk and deep frying the bread in ghee (clarified butter) till a deep golden brown shade is achieved.
Shadi Tukda Recipe Ingredients:
Main Ingredients: bread sugar milk
|Shahi Tukda Recipe Ingrdient||Quantity|
|Bread slices||6, Large|
|Milk||1 & 1/2 Ltr|
|Water||1 & 1/4 Cup|
|Cashew nuts||fistful, break into small pieces|
|Pistachios||fistful, lightly crushed|
|Almonds||fistful, finely sliced|
|Saffron||4-5 strands (kesar), soaked in 2 tbsps of milk|
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Method of Preparation -
1. Place milk in a thick bottomed stainless steel vessel and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and allow it to reduce to half its original quantity. Add saffron milk and mix. Turn off heat and bring to room temperature. Add 4 tbsps of the prepared sugar syrup (process to prepare sugar syrup in Step 2) and mix. Chill till serving time.
2. In another bowl, place sugar and water. On low to medium flame, let the sugar dissolve completely. Once it dissolves completely, allow to cook for 4 minutes. Turn off heat. Keep aside.
3. Heat a non-stick pan and drizzle a tsp of ghee over it. Add dried fruits and nuts and toast for a minute till brown. Remove onto a bowl.
4. Drizzle 2-3 tsps of ghee in the same pan and place 3-4 triangles. Toast the bread to a golden shade on both sides. Remove and place on a plate.
5. Drizzle the remaining ghee, and toast the remaining bread triangles to a golden brown shade.
6. Dip each toasted triangle in the sugar syrup to coat both the sides and remove onto a serving dish.
7. At the time of serving, pour the chilled saffron flavored thickened milk over the bread slices, garnish with toasted nuts and kismis and serve.