Sore nipples? 5 home remedies new moms swear by!
Created by Shikha Garg Updated on May 09, 2020
Breastfeeding – a great many benefits and a lovely way to bond with your baby but at the same time, not the most comfortable thing to do, especially for the first-time mom. Sore nipples can be a real pain – and the pain is accompanied with extreme tenderness, itchiness and swelling. At times, you will notice a discharge too such as pus or a white, watery fluid. What you crave for at that time is immediate relief – here are some easy-do remedies; apply regularly to ease up things for yourself… I have tried, my friends tried too, and we all found relief, and it’s your turn now!
1. Breast milk: Did you know that your own milk is the best healer? Surprise! Yes, it is. After all, nature does provide a cure for everything! So squeeze your breast and rub some of the milk on your nipples. Do it as a practice, before and after feed, till the soreness subsides.
2. Apple paste: Apple paste every day keeps sore and cracked nipples away! Make a paste out of one apple slice and apply it on the affected nipple. Let it dry and then wash it with normal water. Repeat till you find relief.
3. Tulsi leaves paste: Take a handful of Tulsi leaves, wash them thoroughly and grind them into a fine paste. Apply this paste on your nipples. Once it dries up, wash thoroughly with normal water. You can do this 3-4 times a day to reduce the soreness.
4. Oil massage: Dry skin is one of the main reasons for soreness, so a massage with coconut or mustard oil is a great fix. Warm up the oil before massaging the affected area and remember to wash before the next feed.
5. Desi ghee: Desi ghee (homemade is best) is another restorative. And the good thing about desi ghee is that you can leave it on your nipple while feeding the baby, as desi ghee is harmless.
So try these out and do write in with your feedback – did any of this help or not? Please so share any remedies that worked well for you – share with other moms in the comments section below and get them the much-needed relief.
| Feb 21, 2017
after every feed apply coconut oil n leave it . even u can feed again without washing . it's not harmful. another remedy is freeze a slice of cabbage in freezer . apply tht cold cabbage leaf on breast . it will b helpful even with hard breast . let ur breast dry by itself openly .